Is there any medication similar to alfuzosin though stronger.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I like alfuzosin because I don't find any side effects especially any sexual side effects. However it doesn't seem to work very well in the middle of the night. During the day it's okay but at night when I wake up urination is very slow and hesitant . I'm feeling that I may need something stronger than alfuzosin. Though like alfuzosin it wouldn't have any sexual side effects. Thank you,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Johnny,

It's very common that your rate of flow is reduced at night and this may not have anything at all to do with the alfuzosin. There have been many comments here about this very same thing. My flow was 3ml/sec taking 1 tamsulosin at bedtime, but then I added a morning tamsulosin, so now taking 2 per day, and my flow is 5ml/second, and often slower at night. Taking two has helped my PVR and allows me to sleep a bit longer at night before getting up to go to the bathroom. You need to check with your urologist about increasing or changing your meds but doubling up helped me out.

Good luck,

Tom

• Posted

Hello Tom, I don't mean to hijack the post but did doubling up the tamsulosin affect your sex life at all? I take one pill at night as well and to be honest I am up 2 to 3 times a night. I haven't had a proper sleep in years. At one pill it does not seem to affect my sex drive, and I do not suffer from retrograde ejaculation, so my concerns about increasing the dose is about sexual side effects.

• Posted

KC,

Began taking tamsulosin some years ago and it did have an effect on sex, weaker ejaculations. However, since then I have had radiation to the prostate for cancer (in 2014) and that has wiped out my sex life, so now I am just concerned with my urine flow. Two a day helps in that regard,

Tom

• Posted

Don't know why you would want to go in the middle of the night but if you do try taking a diuretic.

• Posted

Not sure when you take it, but I take Alfuzosin, one a day, just before bedtime and it works well. Jerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.