Is there any one who has MS and had a TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I  have not been formally diagnosed with ms but it looks likely... I had a TKR 8 weeks ago and really struggling with balance walking and muscle spasms.... any others in a similar position?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mary, this is not so much about the knee but MS in general....I've seen my sister's long struggle with MS and she's 65 now but had first encounter in her 20' s and then a LONG remission, then she did a long hard working life....not knowing it was MS as they were not sure way back then.  

But sugar and carbs are killers for MS, she was/is a sugarholic.  I have not seen her in a lot of years as I can't travel and for sure she can not....so don't know if she cleaned up the carb/sugar addiction.     Vit D is CRITICAL, she told me this back in 2006 and then I found out how deificient I was, long story....but if you don't know these, you are hearing it from me.  

Maybe others with MS will talk about their knee issues..   Joy   

• Posted

Thanks for your reply     I do eat carbs and sugar... need to have a look at my diet...  I do take vitamin supplements..... I had my 1st neurological  episode in my 20's and am also 55..   worked full time  until last year.   I was reasonably mobile   but then knee problems started...i seem to be way behindt everyone  else in my recovery.. could be due to the fact i was given  no one to one physio until i went  privately last week.... now i need intensive therapy ..
    • Posted

When my sister's MS came on strong I had her fly to Los Angeles for a consult with a nutritionist who also deals with MS and a MAJOR issue is carbs/sugar.....do your research and you will see.....these two are not good for anyone and for sure our joints and everything else....Please don't ignore this....she is now 65 and not in good shape.....I've cried for her and no more tears left.   Veggies/protein/good clean water....

Carbs in moderation....sugar as a small treat....   

• Posted

Oh more more thing, LDN (low dose naltroxone) I understand helps a lot of MS people....do a search and learn about this "drug" .  I brought this to my sister's attention about 6 yrs ago but it was too late, she was engrained with all the drugs her new york city md's had her on that she couldn't think about LDN.   It could have  helped her, but I'll never know.  

A friend  up the street from me deals with MS and she did get on the LDN and was doing good with it...we've lost contact, she's moved away so we don't connect anymore.      Best to you....J

• Posted

hello mary ... well, this is a turnup for the books!  i didn't see this one coming at all and wanted to say how sorry i am.  but i bet you are keen to get a final diagnosis.  i do not have any personal experience with ms, so i really cannot give you any advice. i am thinking that your recouperation will take longer but you too will get there.  physio will definitely help you with getting your leg working again and once you have your strength back it will also help with your balance. also keep us posted here and we will all be here to offer our support, with or without ms experience.  take care of yourself mary and take it one step at a time.  you will get there too.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago and apart from the gradual loss of dexterity in my left hand and weakness in my left leg I have coped quite well.  I had left TKR

2 years ago and right TKR 18 months ago.  Unfortunately I suffered from severe muscle spasms in my left leg which gradually got worse. I became frightened to go to bed at night because they would would keep waking me up.  I've been taking high doses of both Gabapentin for 11 years for nerve pain and Baclofen for the muscspasms for 17 months.  Both these medications work well for me.  However, like you, I'm struggling with balance and still cannot walk unaided.  I have no quality of life now and wonder if I'll ever walk independently again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.