Is there any point now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I woke up last night, shortly after falling asleep with the most painful feeling of burning pressure in my chest and throat. I've had pain from heartburn before, but this eclipsed those episodes by miles! The "rise and fall" feeling of this occurred rapidly, about 30 seconds to a minute or so apart. It made it extremely difficult to take a full breath and wouldn't ease up...at all. Only after 4 Tums and a dose of Pepto did they dull enough for me to go back to sleep.

Initially, the thought 'Am I having a heart attack?' Went through my mind, but then I decided that couldn't be it. It MUST be indigestion or acid reflux. Even though I've never had any indication EVER before of GURD. In the interest of full disclosure, while I didn't eat anything yesterday that would likely cause heartburn, I did enjoy a handful of beers. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even though it probably doesn't mean squat, I've not had any problems with regards to gas, reflux or the like when I've imbibed before. Also, I smoke which increases the chance of problems, I know. Finally, I'm 46, and cardiac problems are present through my father and paternal grandmother.

So, this morning, I can't stop thinking over and over of my initial question and deciding I may have very well had a heart attack, or signs of one coming, maybe? If that is even possible. I still don't feel well; I'm feeling fatigued and just "bleh". Honestly, it kind of feels like remnants of last night's symptoms are still present.

So my question now is this: is there any point now in going to urgent care? Or should I wait to make an appointment with my doctor and just go see her?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Go to urgent care as soon as you can. I have a similar story, I had chest pains once at night and thought I was just having indigestion. My girlfriend made me call an ambulance to be safe and it turned out I had myocarditis. I would never have known and now I am taken it easy. That phone call potentially saved my life. Go get it checked out I hope you are okay.
  • Posted

Heart attack symptoms and strength can vary by individual. Personally, I have known several people who have had silent heart attacks. Often it is a good consideration to have it checked out. They can still do tests days, weeks, and months after an episode to identify if you had a cardiac episode or not. If you have not yet gone in, consider if it is worth trying.

Best wishes to you, no matter what your decision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.