Is there any truth in these stories?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it really possible for a fright or startling event to cause a heart attack or cardiac arrest ie. loud fireworks, watching a scary film or a scare whilst driving etc? There are so many scare stories that pop up in the papers about this but surely these are events that people experience all the time? I've even heard that some realistic computer games might be 'dangerous'! I've heart of 'broken heart syndrome' affecting people after devastating life events but never minor day to day events causing heart problems?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I never had a heart problem untill I had a tattoo.

I passed out for 15 mins....

Thats when the fast heart rates started...Now I am plauged with ectopics....Pauses...its been an awful 18months.

Huge Adrenaline surges to the heart maybe are to blame?? I am 39?

• Posted

I would say it depends on the person . Some people jump at anything and if they have heart problems it could probably cause it.
  • Posted

Sorry to be so late with this reply, I haven't been on line in a while.  Yes, there is truth

to those stories, and I'm living proof, I've had 2 heart attacks (MIs)  that  were both a

result of coronary artery spasms, where the artery closes down on itself, if for just a

brief period of time, but still long enough to where blood isn't able to flow to that area of the muscle, which will result in damage.  High blood pressure or hypertension can increase the risk.  I don't believe there is a test that can predict  who will or won't have a spasm.  I'm just thankful I'm alive.  I'm not able to work anymore, but I'm still alive.

• Posted

If I have a fright like air turbulence on plane or someone passing out in front of me or that type of thing, my heart will beat out of rhythm. ( I have had a fib before and svt) So fear must narrow the arteries or something. Anyway I am still here and I'm 57 and try not to worry too much about anything!! It just seems to make things worse. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.