Is there any way to stop weight loss with mono?

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's me again.. After being diagnosed in July, the symptoms have returned with a vengeance for a third time - including nausea. The nausea and decreased appetite has made it so I can't eat as much and I've lost weight because of it, but because I was already really thin before I got diagnosed, I'm underweight and it's causing other problems. Does anyone know how I can stop losing weight and gain back what I've already lost? (I think I've lost muscle too.)

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a blender ? I make smoothies with nut buttter avocado chia seeds coconut oil and a banana. You can put in jars and it turns out like a pudding ... easy to get down nutritious .  The coconut Monolaurin is supposed to be good for EBV too. I know everything is an effort but 

Healthy diet is really important for this beast so you must eat. 

I have to force food down as have no appetite . It’s all a NIGHTMARE !!! 😫😫😫

• Posted

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately I don't have a blender, but I'll definitely have to look into getting one or finding a place to get custom smoothies.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way too, it's the worst... There have been a few times when I've felt physically hungry but don't have the appetite, while other times it'll be nausea or my swollen tonsil stopping me from eating.

• Posted

I lost just over a stone in weight and never really lost my appetite...apart from when I had a sore throat at the beginning....so no idea how I lost it all....but it went down at a dramatic pace and then levelled out.
    • Posted

Mine has been more of a slow dropping of pounds, but just seeing it get lower has made me really anxious. The last few days I've been reading into it a little more and noticed that an enlarged spleen can cause weight loss even if you're eating normally though. It seems like the new symptoms never stop coming.

• Posted

You could look at getting some sort of mass gaining shake, just for pure calories, some single shakes contain 1000 calories alone. If you’re really struggling for food just sip throughout the day. Although you really need to try and force some real food down as well. I know food prep is really hard when you’re feeling crap but it is so so important! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice! I'll have to look at those and see what I can find. I've been trying to eat more, but now not only my appetite is stopping me, but one of my tonsils swelled and is making it hard for me to eat meat and bread...

• Posted

Hi Ciela

Sorry to hear that you have this virus and that you've had a flare up in your symptoms. I was the same where I am naturally thin and it was very distressing seeing all my muscles waste away to nothing.  My biggest recommendation is to try to really up your protein because your body uses pro tie for repairs to your organs muscles and tissues. Once I recovered enough to start walking again I noticed that my muscle mass just wasn't coming back. That was until I started really getting into the protein shakes (I made my own with hemp seed protein milk and banana), lots of eggs and also meat. Within a few weeks my weight returned to normal.

I hope you start having some symptom free days soon and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.