Is there anybody on here that has come off venalfaxine and felt better for it

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have decided to come off venalfaxine but am worried about withdrawals and if I'm going to feel worse withought them. I'm fed up with feeling drugged up all the time I want to get my life back as this is having a negative affect on my life I can't work or do anything to be honest, my girlfriend has dumped me because I'm am usless to her and I am devasted as she was the love of my life. I am up to my eyeyballs in debt as not working for so long these so called antidepressants have ruined my life

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael, don't come off Venlafaxine suddenly, try your best to phase them out very slowlyam no doc but at the moment to cut a long story short been through hell for the last couple of months due to changing my meds to Mertazipine from Venlafaxine which I was very happy, content and confident on and now at the moment I have good moments and bad ays until the Venlafaxine kicks in again.

And as for your girlfriend all due respect but she aint up to much if she has deserted you when you need her most my friend.

I am reliving my feelings from my small yrs to teens and its hell, I went through humiliation, bullying etc and I am experiencing all the symptoms again.....its like I'm half here and half in the past....weird but doc says its quite common and I will get better.

Hang on in there mate. or check with docs are you on the right tabs. I never felt anything but upbeat and confident on venlafaxine never felt drugged up.

• Posted

Thanks Barry I fully understand what you are saying but this has been my experience with all antidepressants over the last 30 years, some of them did work for a very short time then I became ill again I think that I am resistant to them as I only get the side affects and nothing else. They do work well for most people but not for me. I'm sorry to hear about the bullying as I know what it's like as it happened to me so I know what it's like 
    • Posted

Id recommend seeing a psychiatrist. You can get reasonable prices from Mind, i had therapy after a serious suicide attempt (definitely not a 'cry for help'), the therapy was p£ss poor, just me talking and at points id f i stopped we'd sit in silence! She came to the conclusion that my traumatic experiences were being projected onto bad situatuaions happening now and i was identifying with them rather than saying 'shit happens', but i wanted a solution to show me how to deal with this and stop myself feeling like this which a therapist (especially a trainee!!) isnt equipped for.

bullying sets you up for life as a vicitim but it doesnt have to, get a lunch bag, get jogging (i listen to podcasts of angry rap to get me in the mood) go to a beginners boxing gym and build your confidence. Trust me im a shy person it scared the living shit walking uo those stairs to the gym but the alternative is worse.

Although i do want to try st johns wort or a DRI. I feel theyre a bandage to get you through what you REALLY should be doing, which for me was working out my career, losing weight, learning to fight and reading self help books to build myself up, and my friend its working and i hole it does for you. 

All the best, Mike.

• Posted

Either go to your doctor or just cut the pills into smaller and smaller pieces until they barely exist. But dont whatever you do take any stimulants no matter how small a dose youre taking. I did and I literally felt like I was being electrocuted from my brain and had seizures. Just goes to show how powerful these drugs are. I cant stand SSRI's, they give me nothing but problems, which is weird because my mum takes them and she swares they broke her depression (which ws pretty bad because she lost my dad at 50 very suddenly in a car crash and beat herself up about it because she'd forgotten to ask him to stay home that day). Though she put on two stone which I cannot do because i have major issues re my appearnace.

seems all ssri's mess you up in either sleepiness, sex, weight, etc. ive found your better off exercising. I jog to angry rap podcasts and psych myself up watching tyson fights. At one point i got back into the shape i used to be and was getting attention from the fairer sex and that was better than any AD. 

My main problem is i havent started a career because i cant commit to anything, i get an acidic feeling in my brain whenever i think about it which puts me off.

Im looking into dopamine reuptake inhibitors like bupropion which habe next to no side effects and are doing great in the us but the b£stard nhs wont prescribe for depression so looking at st johns wort. But dont whatever you do go cold turkey, youll have traumatic results (seriously), its not worth it,

mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.