Is there anyone living with large fibroids?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey. I had some large fibroids diagnosed a couple years ago but as they weren't causing any problems they were left. Now it feels like they've increased in side. No pain as such but I am having to pee a lot more regularly and not emptying bladder properly as I sometimes have to go again 15 minutes later. I have a gynie appointment in 2 weeks and I'm awake at night with the fear that they'll say they're too large for medication and my only option is some form of surgery. Is there anyone currently living with large fibroids who has decided against surgery? I'm 43 years old.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i am 43 as well and have 8 fibroids, some large some smaller. recently i can tell they have grown as they area annoying me now. i also have to go to the loo numerous times which gets embarrassing as sometimes i need to go three times in an hour. i am thinking of getting uterine fibroid embolisation as i dont want a hysterectomy.

• Posted

Hi mimi24999,

I read these posts often, hoping to find a story that resonates with me, to my relief I found your post! I too am 43 and was diagnosed with a 6cm Fibroid in 2016 after experiencing heavy bleeding, awful constipation, exhaustion and cramps that felt exactly like Labour pains! ( I've had 4 kids, twins included) Once the symptoms settled down, I decided not to do anything because it was still small and I wanted to avoid surgery if possible. However for the last couple of years this Fibroid has begun to affect my daily life. The main issue is the frequent need to urinate...at least 15 or more times a day, sometimes I have to go back minutes later due to feeling that I haven't fully emptied my bladder. I firmly believe the Fibroid is putting pressure on my bladder Big time! I can almost never lie on my stomach, which btw looks 4 months preggers due to feeling like I'm sleeping on a grapefruit. Sex with my VERY understanding partner can sometimes be quite uncomfortable. A couple of months ago I went for an Ultrasound scan and was informed the fibroid now measured 9cm.....

I have a telephone appointment with my Gp soon, I will ask to be referred to a Gynae Consultant to discuss Fibroid removal options, as I'm worried I'll end up eventually suffering with bladder incontinence!......apologies for the long message....I have never posted on a forum about this, just needed to spill the beans....especially a 9cm one!

Thank you for reading, any replies welcome!..

• Posted

Please get your kidneys looked at. Depending where yours is, it may be pressing on the ureters, like mine. Thank the LORD my Dr recommended I get a kidney ultrasound as I found it was. If that happens, its like stepping on a hose... Water gets backed up. It can cause kidney death. I watched my mom die from diabetes... You f*ing need your kidneys.

Hopefully your doc knows where yours is and didnt think you needed a kidney ultrasound. It's pretty much malpractice if that's not the case. I'd think and hope you'd rather have to have surgery, like me, than die from that. So please... Get a kidney ultrasound.

• Posted

Hi. I am too is against surgery but last month I have decided to go through it. Though I haven't had it yet, I still have this second thought of "what ifs?"

I'm scared af! Not just because of the surgery but also for the surgery fee which is really expensive and my family has no health insurance! Yes, we have public hospitals that can give charity help and only medicines and laboratory exams I have to worry about but since there are so many people lined up everyday for this.

I was diagnosed with 9cm fibroids in my uterus last June of 2020. Actually it's inside and out. One doctor said I have the hybrid myoma. The first doctor I have consulted said I should have surgery and they will do hysterectomy. Even the second doctor said this but the third doctor I have consulted said that they will do myomectomy.

I decided to go to this last doctor since she is not that expensive and I am sure we can afford but it's just odd that she's rushing me to do it. She actually scheduled my surgery on Feb. 23 even if I haven't taken the laboratory exams yet. She calls and messages me everytime , which is sometimes annoying and like really rushing me. I felt like pressured by this and I got nervous until today, I told her that I am not ready yet. Although she tried her best to change my mind to do this on the 23rd, I told her I need to get myself ready first and I will message her once everything is good on my side. Weird response she gave me. She just said ohk-hay, in a sarcastic sound for okay.

Now, I want to share you something about one Traditional chinese medicine I found online last month. This is called Gui Zhi Fu Ling Tang which I ordered 3 weeks ago and I just got it today. I am gonna try this for now since I have read so much good reviews about this medicine. I already taken 4 tabs this aftenoon. I'll take another before I go to sleep. Wish me luck and I will do my best to keep everyone posted to see the improvements after taking this medicine.

Please update us too and don't worry, you are not alone. 😃)

• Posted

hi, yes, i have had a large fibroid for the last couple years and recently (last couple months) feels as though has doubled in size (now looks to me like 4 month pregnancy). having a new ultrasound on friday to know exact size. (prior was 7 cm) in addition, due to heavy menstrual bleeding, i am severely anemic. the anemia is the main reason i am contemplating some sort of removal of the fibroid, though i have been trying everything (eating less meat, more veggies, acupuncture, walking/yoga, etc) to avoid surgery. i am almost 52 and still having monthly periods but hoping that once i enter menopause, the fibroid would shrink considerably and my anemia would then be resolved. just not sure how much longer i can live w the heaviness/stomach protrusion and anemia symptoms (dizziness/fatigue/weakness).

• Posted

Please take the advise from Phix95 and have your kidneys checked. I'm 44, was diagnosed in 2018 after they showed up on a scan for something else. Kidneys were not checked at the time. Last year felt they had grown. Finally got a scan (private) in Nov and they checked kidneys. I have hydroneprosis. They've been back and forth since trying to determine cause as my gyne told me each time it wasn't not due to fibroids. Anyway second opinion gyne says it definitely is. I'm due to start gnrh analouges next week and hysterectomy in 2 months. Feeling pain around flanks and am so concerned about my kidneys. Apparently wait and see for large fibroids is not wise. I hope you'll be okay.

• Posted

Large fibroid. The posts here are blowing me away! back in 2018 one of my gynecologists said she was concerned about my kidneys but she never ran a scan and now I’m having high blood pressure which I read could be caused by the tumor pressing on different organs etc. I am seeing a new GYN hopefully hopefully for surgery and will ask them about my kidneys. This is ridiculous.

• Posted

Hi everyone. I am 52 and have 3 large fibroids making me look 4 months pregnant. I have finally, after entering peri-menopause have got rid of my ongoing migraines, heavy periods, fatigue and wanting to wee every half hour. I had to fight to get a fibroid embolisation in my 40s at Queen Mary, London which semi worked as I think they shrunk my largest fibroid and relieved some of the symptoms.

I wish that I had had non invasive surgery in my 30s when they were small and manageable and felt that the wait and see approach is nonsense as they just will get bigger.

After 3 gynaecologists pushing me to get a hysterectomy (which I do not wish to have) I am happy to look pregnant and keep my body intact. However if I get any further debilitating symptoms I will rethink the situation. So glad to hear that there are women who I can relate to, as most of my family members (including my mum seem to think that I should just have surgery and get my womb out!)

• Posted

When a problem is big or severe its great to have surgery, although the anticipation of that surgery is painful. I believe you should have surgery, and spend money on it, because then it will be done properly. Its possible for it to grow back if the procedure is not done properly or done too lightly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.