Is there anyone who has not put on weight with Citalopram?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have mentioned in another post that I've been taking 20mgs of Citalopram for approx 8 weeks for anxiety. Before taking it, I was eating a lot (mainly sweets/chocs). I've already started to cut down on food intake, calories, etc for just over a month. At the beginning I lost a lot of fluid and now I'm finding it very difficult to lose anymore weight. Is it difficult to lose the weight if you're on Citalopram. I eagerly await your views. Thanks! :cry:

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Post removed by Patient Admin at the request of the author.
  • Posted

I've not experienced any weight gain with Citalopram. I was prescribed 20 mg a day in October and since then probably lost about 2-3 stone, and shrunk to a size 6. Granted i eat less, and loss of appetite is one of the side effects; however it made me realise how unhealthy my daily diet used to be. I'm not an advocate of exercise myself, but i drink plenty of smoothies and take multi vits. So don't believe all the rumours about weight gain. I've recently had my dosage upped due to circumstances, and still no sign of the pounds piling on. 8)
  • Posted

I have been on Citalopram for almost 1 year now. I started of on 20mg but due to recent circumstances this has been increased to 40mg. I have also lost weight since being on them although recent events have meant that have I lost my appetite so that doesn't help.
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on citalopram dor about 4 yesrs now, I started on 20mg and am now down to 10mg I had just about weaned myself off them, but I Hhave just suffered a prolapsed disk so have started taking them again amongst the other tablets that I am taking for this problem,, yes I did put on weight but had just started exercising and dieting and the weight was coming off until the disk problem happened, now because I can't get around the weight has startd going back on,

Jude

• Posted

[color=darkblue:f3a805680e][/color:f3a805680e]

I have only been taking them for 10 days and lost my appetite in about an hour! I have lost 4 lbs in that space of time.

I feel exhausted and achey but am not sure if thats the 20mg dose or the effects of eating so much less!!

• Posted

I didnt put any weight on at all, had very little side effects and have been on 40mg for 2 years.
  • Posted

I have been on citalopram for 3 years, I have gained 1/2 a stone and its hard to shift it. But I think its more due to the fact that my energy levels are a lot lower and therefore I am not as active. I was a 4 times a week gym person plus cycling. I find that hard now. I am nearly off the tabs so I hope to regain my old active lifestyle.
  • Posted

I had already lost some weight before I went on the med and have now lost about half stone. Didn't need to lose weight so not very good. This isn't my main concern, I just want my depression to lift. Have been on med for 6 weeks and am now on 30mg dose. I can't wait to wake up feeling normal and happier, this is no fun. Any comments appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.