Is there cause to be worried about this lump at the base of my skull?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all!

When i was getting a massage from my SO, I was having him dig into this lump that is located where my neck meets my skull. I have known about its existence for about a year now and I was worried when I first discovered it. But seeing as how no one else could feel it, i chalked it to me being super tense person with a permanent "knot." It has become larger over time, but very slowly, but I have not been worried ever since I decided it was just a "knot"

When i was having my SO dig in, he commented how it felt like a lump not akin to a muscular knot, and that he does not think you can get knots right at the base of your skull. It is on the left side, hard, painless, and does not move. You can't see it, because it is more internal, so you have to feel it to identify its location.

Other things I have been experiencing that I have written off as being cause by depression, a monotonous job, simply a low energy person, and dehydration include:

-head aches

-fatigue (I could sleep forever)

• not so sharp with focus
  • memory
  • overall just not feeling "well?"

Thoughts??

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Woody,

I have no medical experience. However I have found my self with all kinds of injuries or been around other peoples injuries, best I can do is give you my experiences.

I had a girlfriend who had swollen lymph nodes in her neck If I can remember correctly. Her doctor felt the need that they should be removed. She had a quick surgery to remove them and was fine.

I believe there are lymph nodes in your neck that can become swollen, as to what degree I don't know. Nor do I know that this is the problem you are experiencing. If I were you I would look at detailed drawing of a human bodies internals, specifically search "lymph nodes in neck" look for images showing them and determine if they or something else are located where you feel the lump.

I would bring this information with you to the doctor explaining you have some sense of what is going on, research what you can about any other glands or anything else in your neck that could become infected or swollen.

Another step to take is to feel your family members or friends necks in the same area and determine if they too share the same painless lump located on the neck to distinguish if the lump is "normal" or not.

As for any other symptoms I do not know how they would interact, without examination or definition of your ailment.

I wish you well, see a responsible doctor who if unsure of him or her self says so and moves to imaging and referral as a next step. If you don't agree or feel they misunderstand or are not interpreting you correctly, do not be shy speak up and share what you know.

Patients and Doctors work together to solve problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.