Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anybody found that this painful condition gets better with time? If so, how long? Feel as though im trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea at the moment.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The spine surgeon that I saw said in the majority sciatica lasts 6-8 weeks. If you still have it at 12 weeks then your in the minority but you should be able to see improvement even though it's slow. He said if you get to twelve weeks the pain issues can last 4-5 months and any numbness or loss of feeling can last at least 12 months. He also said an MRI doesn't always show where the nerve interference is. 

Treating the patient rather than the X-ray is what they normally do. So finding pain relief that works is the first step so you can try and return to some normal existence.

I feel after 15 weeks I'm finally starting to feel like I'm recovering. I had an MRI at 12 weeks that proved what he said the problem was and I'm now on pain relief that probably works at about 75% but realise I've gotta keep my chin up and see this out.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to leave a detailed,informed reply,i appreciate it. Feel frustrated because ive had only slight improvement in last couple of weeks,im able now to (painfully) walk down the stairs rather than shuffle down on my backside.
  • Posted

How are u doing Camilla? I find as soon as I wake up I'm in agony. Can i ask what helps u? What is pain like?

• Posted

Hello Bev, I find its particularly painful in the night, i end up writhing in agony when my left hip and calf cramp up,the morning is tough,i really have to force myselp to get through the pain barrier. Been to the Doctor a few times and have been prescribed codeine phosphate and gabapentine,the latter works for nerve pain but i wouldnt want to go out after taking it,it can make you feel quite spaced out. I find a bag of frozen peas on my hip gives temporary relief,have got an Xray booked in a couple of weeks. To be honest nothing seems to give me complete relief. Horrendous isnt it? Dont normally do forums,but felt driven to whinge to somebody other than my husband. How are you coping?
  • Posted

First, is it really sciatica?  If yes, I'm a big believer in finding the true cause of the problem and fixing it.  There can be lots of causes.  Here's been my experience...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

Can there be other causes?  Probably.  Can you try other modalities like acupuncture, PT, etc?  Sure.  But the key is finding out the actual cause of the pain.  For me, chiropractic fixes me up pretty well.  However, one time the problem had a spinal bone spur cause and that needed a neurosurgeon to fix.  Then again, your hips and spine may just be out of alignment and a chiro can fix you up quick.  Just don't know.

Everyone is different and needs to walk their own path to find the root cause of the problem and then commit to getting it fixed.  I am not a believer in throwing drugs at the problem...just masks the symptoms and cures nothing.  Some people take the slow, cautious approach, others go directly to a neurosurgeon for an MRI or, if inconclusive, a CT/Myelogram with contrast (the "gold standard" spine test) to find or rule out a spinal cause.  Pick your path...walk it.  Just find the cause and fix it.

• Posted

According to three different GPs its acute sciatica with underlying periformis syndrome. Had niggles for a while and then one day a straw broke the camels back,so to speak and have been off work since in considerable pain. Ive been told that i have spondylitis in spine due to osteoarthritis,wonder if this is the cause,have got an Xray in a couple of weeks and have had a (painful) physio session so far. Im suddenly reduced to using a walking stick when i go out and feel old before my time. Does this really go away in four weeks?
    • Posted

I probably encountered periformis when the sciatic pain ran through my glutes.  What is the recommended course of action for the sciatica, periformis and spondylitis?  Could the spinal problem be causing all of this?  Sounds like you need a good neurosurgeon and a CT/Myelogram with contrast to really nail this down.  You may get away with intense physical therapy for the spine which may help a lot but the last alternative is surgery.  Don't be too quick to jump for that.  See what non-invasive modalities can do for you...maybe acupuncture...

• Posted

I think because i have only recently developed these debilitating symptons the Drs are seeing how i respond to physio,then an xray which im not convinced will show much as its nerve pain. I seem to be improving at a snails pace,hardly at all in other words.
  • Posted

I've been struggling with this for several months and now I'm waiting for an MRI scan later this month. The pain is excruciating! I'm exhausted but I can't sleep properly, I can't stand too long and then when I sit that gets uncomfortable too. 

I really don't know how long it lasts but I can totally relate to the pain you're in.

• Posted

Are you able to work while suffering this pain,Ive had to phone in sick again this week,third week running because i cant function properly with this pain. Have you had an Xray? Did you have to push to get an MRI scan, sorry too many questions but at the moment this feels quite grim as it obviously does for you.
    • Posted

No I'm off work at the moment and have been for 3 weeks. I had an X-ray last December and only after a visit to the hospital has an MRI been organised, i don't think I'll be returning to work anytime soon.... 

• Posted

I m hoping that it will go away as suddenly as it came on though i cant see it somehow. I thought sciatica was a little niggle in the back that old people got not a disabling condition.
  • Posted

I've a doctor so appointment later today so I'll see what suggestions she can offer in the meantime until I have my scan. I've been been pescribed various painkillers with little or no effect so I'm curious to know what's next 

• Posted

Hope you get medication that gives you some respite because im finding that being at home all day,most of the time in pain, can wear a little thin after a while.
    • Posted

Naproxen has been added to the current Tramadol pescription... 

plus a note for another fortnight which ties in with my scan... 

totally agree ! Being stuck indoors is wearing very thin indeed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.