Is there nothing they can do for me??

Posted , 11 users are following.

ive had depression for about 6 months and it has steadily got worse over the months. I am currently on 100mg of  sertraline I hit complete rock bottom last night and just didn't want to be here I was that scared I rang Samaritans because it was the only place I had to turn, they suggested I ring the go today so i did, went to se him who said he "didn't have a magic wand and all I can suggest is we get the mental health team to ring you. They did I said I need help I need something to help me through the weekend because I'm not sure I will otherwise and he just said someone will call me Monday! I can't contemplate as far a way as Monday at the minute so my question is is there really nothing anyone can do for me I don't care what it is but I truly don't believe I'll make it through tomorrow if no one helps me and I feel I've now tried every avenue. Can someone please advise

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey, that's the way it is am afraid but don't give up. Am sure the powers that be think that our mental health just switches off over the weekend. How long have u been on 100mg? How long u had depression? Not being nosey at all. I am on the same but I don't feel it works so I am seeing my gp next week. There is no easy answer. Everyone says the same to me, just wait.....aye ok for what? A&E is always there if u feel u are in danger at any point (from yourself included) do you see a therapist? Any friends you can spend time with over weekend? Try an keep yourself busy best you can. Its not easy, believe me I know 😞 and sometimes being alone is all u want to be. U may not find any answers on here but the people on here are fab and listen without question an share their own solutions etc. Always good to hear from someone who maybe a complete stranger but understands better than most !
    • Posted

Thank you for replying so soon, I thought as much it just seems such a ridiculous system. I have had depression about six months and since getting it I have lost my job my best and only real friend and my boyfriend, the only people I have are my mum and dad and an aunty but they are all away this week and not back till Sunday/Monday I was trying to tell them this that I really have no one and no support system but they just said "everyone has friends" which was just wonderful to hear 😕. Sorry for the rant and again thank you for reading and replying 
    • Posted

No problem. We all feel like that sometimes. And like I said, people are great on here. I know its not one on one company but sometimes writing comes easier than talking ( I find) I have had depression for over 20 years so I am a bit ahead of you! But the feeling is the same regardless. I also lost my job through this illness because I couldn't even surface some days an was making silly mistakes so went to a disciplinary and I have been signed off for best part of a year. Don't ever think you are ranting, we all need something or someone to just say something. Might not be much, but it can sometimes make such a difference. We are all speaking the same language on here so never feel you are alone x
  • Posted

Calm down and take some deep breathes....

I think near enough the majority of people have felt exactly how you feel right now your not alone, fight it be strong your better than this try going to your gp for some different medication and try it out

Life is a beautiful thing but it knocks us down I have so many people around me but yet I still feel alone you will make it to Monday yannob why because you have too don't let this horrible vicious mental disease win trust me I've been there and it's a horrible place to be, if you ever want to talk feel alone or scared messaged me I've been there its scary you are not alone and you will get better stay strong and concentrate on the good things you have in life and what life can offer you!!

Keep your head high, I know me saying all this is easy and fighting this depression is hard but you can do it!

• Posted

I agree with both Paul & Shaunie; it's a matter of 'riding it out'. So very easy to say & so very difficult to do!

But there are times in depression, that you can be surrounded and still feel utterly alone. At these times, I find 'role-playing' quite useful - imagine you are someone else...you are their friend. As their friend, you'll be trating them with the utmost respect and dignity; no matter what. Words won't cut it. In 'crisis mode', as you are, try being kind to yourself.

Best news? It'll pass!

• Posted

Hey am sorry but I have to disagree with your comment It'll pass' I think your advice is pretty spot on with role play in a sense. But don't agree with your last words. For some, it really doesn't pass. Am no having a go by any stretch but I just disagree that's all an I felt the need to comment. Sorry if its offensive but we have to explain every realistic aspect of depression to this person
    • Posted

Hi Paul

No worries; I value your opinion and I'm certainly not above reproach! In fact, I'm very glad you brought it up.

'It'll pass' = we're still here. There are those that 'didn't make it', my sister included. So, clearly it's us still standing that are still talking!

As a lifer in depression, it ebbs and flows...certainly for me. Many times spent at the 'brink', but stepped back. So, it's on that basis I made the decision (for right or wrong) to say what I did to Polkadot.

Why? Because when there's nothing I can do, it's better to err on the side of optimism (a quality that is very low on my characteristic scale!). More importantly, how do you talk to someone in crisis? At that moment, they're at their most vulnerable, what you say can be pivotal. Rather than saying something that could be construed as 'agreement' in their feelings of hopelessness, is it not better to use that moment to introduce the obvious..that we're still here?

The reality-check here is to know that the person you're talking to may or may not hear you. I am respectfully fearful of delivering a negative message to someone standing on a precipice.

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi I hit crisis point one weekend and there was an out of hours mental health team I could call,  who worked over the weekend.  It was on the phone only though.   I assume there is one in your area too so get googling and have a look.   Hugs  bev x

• Posted

You're stronger than you give yourself credit for because you're here and you're asking for help and you're not giving in to it. Give yourself credit for that because it's not easy!

It is ridiculous that noone is allowed to get sick on evenings or weekends but everyone's right - you've got us on here. I'm terrible for pushing friends away when really I should open up and talk to them more. Instead it's easier to find fault with them all. You will get through it and you'll come out the other side and find new and better friends who are worth having.

• Posted

talk to us and we can all help each other through the weekend which will bring us a day closer to getting better xxx
  • Posted

Hi polkadot, I visited my gp in similar circumstances to you, he instantly referred me to the crisis intervention home treatment Team. They contacted me within one hour of my gp calling them, I would suggest trying to contact them as I went in for an assessment on the Sunday afternoon I was referred on the Friday. If you have access to them try contacting them. There is also a contact number for mental health matters which is available 24/7 which may be worth checking out. I hope things work out better for you I understand how you feel but try not to give up
    • Posted

I'm with home treatment but there little help. They visit once a week but regarding meds they keep my on the same ones when there not really helping my anxiety at all (I'm talking crippling feel insane anxiety )
  • Posted

Hang in there!! I know that is easier said than done sometimes but please try. I was given Sertraline for months and my depression got steadily worse. I was near to topping myself and was in tears at the doc's surgery. She put me on Prozac and within a month I got my mojo back and have been steadily improving! Sertraline doesn't work for everyone so push for a different drug. And don't let the b*st*rds grind you down! 😊
  • Posted

Hi polka dot,

i am sorry that you are struggling, my suggestion would be that you contact the mental health team again today and explain that Monday is too far away for you to concentrate on and that you need some support in between, make sure that you tell them that your feelings haven't changed and you still don't feel safe. You need to be a participant in your treatment, don't let others decide what happens to you, you make some decisions, 

i wish you all the best. And hope to chat to you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.