Is there something wrong with me??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't know where to begin! Having moved to a new town after my divorce, I went to my local doctor to register. I was told that I had to see the practice nurse for a check up, as it was very quiet that day I was told that she could see me straight away. She seemed very nice and asked me loads of questions about my health etc. She then took my blood pressure which was normal. Next she asked me when I last had a smear test and pelvic exam (I have never had one and i'm 33), I told her I hadn't, she asked me when I had my last period and then said she could do the test there and then! I was asked to strip from the waist down, behind a screen and hop on to the couch. I have to admit that my heart was pounding and I felt a little sick. She told me to lie down while she pulled out these footrest things which she asked me to put my feet into and slide down, I was now totally exposed! (glad I kept my hair tidy!) She then showed me the speculum that she was going to use which was made of plastic and a little brush thingy. She then inserted it into me which was a bit uncomfortable but this only seemed to last for a few seconds. She then said she was going to give me a pelvic exam and she put some jelly on her gloved hand and started to fiddle about 'down there' including putting a finger in my bottom! I felt myself blushing like hell but it was not unpleasant and took only a few minutes. She told everything was normal although I have to admit I felt a bit aroused. I got dressed and left her room, I now felt so aroused that I had to go into the practice toilet and 'sort myself out'! Now I feel so ashamed of myself, how could I get aroused by a woman doing that to me, I only hope she didn't notice anything!! Is there something wrong with me? I have never felt like this before...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you had a bit of a day, but i wouldn't give yourself a hard time. If the only experience you have ever had of someone touching you down there is of the sexual nature and the whole exam was done without you really being prepared it probably confused you quite a bit. Hence you getting aroused by the experience. I wouldn't give yourself a hard time about your reaction, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you.

I think the reason she did such a thorough exam is because it was a quiet day and because you were 33 and had never had any kind of exam of that nature. (i am 30 and have just come back home after having the 4th cervical smear test of my life). So in a way you were probably a bit freaked out by having such a intensive examination without getting prepared.

I have never experience an anal exam myself, but i imagine she was checking your general bowel health. At least you can be reassured that you have been thoroughly checked out and next time you go for a smear test it will feel a whole lot more routine. Just make sure you get checked regularly.

smile

• Posted

I take your point but how does one 'prepare'

Julie

• Posted

So would you say the experience has left you psychologically damaged? smile
  • Posted

I'm not sure if damaged is the right word. I has made me question my own sexuality. :?
  • Posted

well when you are called for a smear test you are notified by post of your appointment.

I was referring to preparing yourself psychologically as a test can be quite a personal one and invasive of your personal space and unless you go in with these expectations of what is about to happen I imagine it can be quite confusing.

if you are worrying about whether you are attracted to women or not because of your reaction I would suggest you sit down and have a think about it - are you usually attracted to women (you say not in your first post) so it sounds like you associate being touched in the pelvic reagion with arousal? maybe to avoid this reaction next time you should spend some time touching yourself down there in a non-sexual way? and if you do get aroused again next time (which shouldn't happen for another three years) then I would just deal with yourself again if that is what is needed and not worry about it.

hope that helps?

nb. if you are worried about the nature of the exam that took place you could always ring nhs direct and talk to them for clarification?

• Posted

Hi lk,

Thank you for your help. I don't think that I am attracted to women. I know that I am fairly easily aroused, maybe that was it. I just hope that the nurse didn't notice anything!!

I don't think that there was anything improper about the exam from what I have read on the internet, apparently the finger in the bottom thing is so that they can check the tissue between the rectum and vagina as lesions can cause a very unpleasant outcome. :shock:

Thank you again for your support.

Julie

• Posted

don't worry about it! it was just a physiological reaction because you were being stimulated in the right places. it means nothing! people can have sexual reactions to all sorts of things because the brain associates the action with sex, but it's your life style choices and which sex you feel a connection with that determines your sexuality. if you normally like men, then that's your sexuality!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.