Is there such a thing as gluten withdrawal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been gluten free for 2 weeks now, following Coeliac diagnosis. My tummy is much, much better, thankfully. But in other ways I feel awful. I feel weak and like I'm on the verge of getting flu, with swollen glands and absolutely no energy. I also feel depressed and very anxious. I'm having a horrible time with it, especially in the mornings it seems, when I feel very panicky.

Obviously I'm only just getting used to the idea of living with a completely different diet. (I definitely ate a lot of gluten, toast being my favourite thing.) But I'm relieved to be finally diagnosed and back in control of how my tummy feels!

I just wondered if anyone experienced anything similar to this when they went gluten free? I wondered if there is such a thing as gluten withdrawal?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Littlebeth , I had lots of problems when I was first diagnosed 20 years ago ,Ive learn t a lot since then,

unfortunately not from the doctors, I found that liquorice root settles the stomach it also boosts the adrenal

gland which gives you more energy, I find chew the root is best ,but you can get tea bags of liquorice,

Also please read Jodie my replies.

Robert.

• Posted

I was diagnosed about the same time - completely out of the blue six weeks ago started getting morning anxiety attacks - docs are trying to say I am suffering from acute anxiety, wasnt before, very random very out of the ordinary for me.

They tried prescribing me with Propanalol - but I am trying liquorice, and Ashwagandha - too early to say if its working yet.

I have established so many other symptoms come with Coeliac, but the doctors know so so little about it.

• Posted

Im glad i read this i have all ways suffered with anxiety but it has got worst since i have been on gluten free so i think i will get some licorice root
  • Posted

I thought liquorice contained gluten?
  • Posted

The licorice root capsule should be labeled gluten free. I would get a B multi vitamin, as lack of can cause the anxiety. There are more of these vitamins in the wheat products (usually added) but still you could be lacking. You can try KavaKava root for the anxiety too...just doublecheck its gluten free.
  • Posted

Try magnesium. Or have blood tests to determine what vitamins and minerals you are deficient in.
  • Posted

You could be suffering from a lack of vitamin B and iron.

Vitamin B is essential in allowing you to use whatever energy you ingest with your food, so if you don't have a regular intake of it or if it is severely depleted (like for example when you are on antibiotics), your energy levels will be fluctuating and you will feel fatigued most of the time.

Iron is a major helper in transporting and delivering oxygen through blood circulation, thus helping muscles, the brain and all of your metabolism in general.

The best way to check how your iron levels are doing is with a simple blood test.

Good luck!

• Posted

It's almost a year ago since the first message was posted - I wonder if Littlebeth has found any cure yet?

Those additional symptoms cannot be caused by gluten withdrawal. But it's possible that if you haven't had help of vitamin B, iron, etc., you may be suffering from CFS/ME (chronic fatigue syndrome). It's hallmark symptom is severe fatigue (or muscle weakness), but swollen glands and continuous flu-like symtoms like a sore throat are very often part of the pack. I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, then many years later with CFS, and as both diseases have an autoimmune base, they often coincide.

Depression is not a symptom of CFS, but it can of course result from being ill for a long time.

• Posted

Your symptoms are similar to mine Littlebeth, It was as a result of a virus - Epstein Bar - which is connected to Glandular Fever (hence your glands are up and you feel grim!) from which I never got better - fatigue, pains in joints and bones etc...which led on to a blood test which showed I was severely anaemic - a classic symptom of Coeliac Disease. I was sent to a Gastroenterologist and finally diagnosed. Ask your GP for another blood test to check for vitamin and mineral - and calcium - deficiencies - as if you have been Coeliac for some time you may well need supplements....but see your GP first. They should be following up on all these things now. Very important in order for you to get well again.. Stick to the diet...It is not withdrawal symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.