Is this a blip? Help :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys

I've been on Citalopram since the end of august so just over 2 months. After about the 5th week i'd say I was pretty much better, I would get the odd pang of anxiety but this would go as quickly as it comes.

But the past 3 nights I've had TERRIBLE anxiety. Feeling like I'm falling when I drop off, world spinning, aching jaw, palps, you name it. I've taken sleeping tablets which I know I shouldn't (should just try to accept it rather than run from it) but i've got such a busy week.

Any ideas? One for the ladies: I've just finished my period do you think this could have something to do with it (sorry guys!)

My lovely hubby to be just says 'don't worry' which of course is slightly ironic when it comes to anxiety!

Support needed xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly I'm into my 6th month on cit and it definitely sounds like a blip! Iv had a couple since starting one lasting a week a one a couple of days or so. I too get anxiety creeping in about my period. I know it's easy said (and I found it difficult at the time) but try not to 'feed' into it, carry on with life and it will pass. I found a book called 'at last a life' by Paul David really useful. He goes on to explain that these blips are not steps back but part of recovery. It's such a good read and not expensive on Amazon/eBay etc.. 

Anyone who didn't have anxiety would be like ok, I'm stressed at work, tired and I need an early night! People like us however start freaking out!!  I'm not sure about the sleeping pills, although if it helps u cope short term. 

Are you on 20mg? 

Hope you're feeling better soon 

Liz xxx

• Posted

I've read similar as Elizabeth, but by someone else.  It's not a step backwards, but your body adjusting to life without anxiety - all part of the recovery.  I remember getting blips and my heart would sink, and eventually I'd tell myself it was all part of getting better.  And I did.

Instead of sleeping tablets, why don't you try Kalms.  They're herbal, and will help to relax you - bought over the counter.

I'm sure it's a blip, and will settle again soon.  Even when you're better, you might get an odd one out of the blue :-)

K xx

• Posted

Hi ladies

Thank you both so much I've instantly felt better! I guess sometimes we just need a little pep talk. I am actually having a very stressful (good stress) time at work so perhaps this is contributing. I will take valerian tonight instead of sleeping tablets, the only reason I didn't last night or the night before is because it was about 1am and sleeping tablets work straight away whereas you need to take valerian about an hour before bed. I'll see how I get on the herbal way.

Thank you thank you xx

• Posted

Hi Holly, absolutely agree this is just a blip and will pass.  I think we're so tuned into all those anxiety alarms that it's second nature to feel pulses, temp rises, etc.  Just keep an eye on the jaw clenching as Ive had problems with that but that too now seems to be clearing up.  It is hard to accept a 'normal' level of anxiety as were so used to full blown episodes, but in a way, it's good that you can experience life as 'normal' rather than be zoned out in a corner 24/7.   If your still struggling in another week or so then maybe revisit the dosage you're on with your GP.  I too am on. 20mg and find it's sorted the physical effects of those incapacitating moments, whilst leaving me feeling normal and not drugged up. It's still early days but your doing fab xxx
  • Posted

I am sure its just are blib, if u have a calander write down the time you had the anxiety so that next time you are on peroids if it happens again see your GP, l hope it helps, try breathing in and oout it helps sometimes.
  • Posted

I know how you are feeling i ve been on cit 10 weeks now up till last weekend was feeling fine then bang sleepless nights & awful panicks i to am hoping its just a blip & things will improve again soon. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Thanks all - I've gone down again in the last hour sad although I can comfortably say it's a blip, it's still so uncomfortable as I'm sure you all know so well. Just want it to be a smooth ride, this life!!
    • Posted

Why not call yo GP tomorrow and ask for a agent appointment u normally get it the same day, bcoz on the leaflet inside your medicine it says if u feel the way u are feeling see your doctor , do not be afraid to see your doctor before. You go to your GP write down the way you feel now on a paper and show it to him or her bcoz sometimes its difficult to explain when u are face to face with yo GP, you will be fine .
  • Posted

I had my psych appt yesterday and I was bracing for her to ask if I wanted to go into this very intense therapy program which I don't feel I'm ready for.  I have been thinking on it all week as to how I can explain that to her. Anyway, she didn't even bring it up and I think she knows I'm not in that place.

Today I feel very out of sorts, more depressed, spacey and anxious. I was wondering if this could be a blip from the stress over the week now hitting me.

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.