Is this a butterfly rash?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is this a "butterfly rash?" It comes and goes, but it's there most of the time. It also usually feels warm to the touch, and it's definitely not Rosacea. I was recently tested for Lupus and some of my bloodwork was abnormal. My ANA was slightly high and the pattern was homogeneous. PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE AB (IGG) was high as well. I also have symptoms such as chronic pleurisy, achey joints and muscles, extreme fatigue, headaches, poor memory, and (rarely) raised, patchy red rashes on my elbows, knees, and Achilles tendon areas. They last for about a week or so then go away leaving an ugly purple scar. I know this is a lot of information and probably an annoying post, but I am waiting to see a Rheumatologist in February, and I am just nervous... But I want to see what some of you who have actually been diagnosed with Lupus think if the redness on my face in the picture. Thanks for your help! image

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I get rashes that come and go as well that aren't the typical 'butterfly rash'. I have had Lupus for about 7 years and these rashes have no pattern or obvious cause. I get them on my chest, upper arms and face.

Sadly nothing helps to get rid of them but time. Good luck

• Posted

That's interesting to hear. The blotchy rashes are pretty rare for me but do happen occasionally. It's the redness on my face that is a big red flag... I added an image to the original post, but I am not sure if it's showing up.

Anyway, I look like I am CONSTANTLY blushing, and I know it's not Rosacea as I regularly see a dermatologist.

Thank you for your input, and I'm sorry to hear that your rashes come and go for no apparent reason. 😦 Best of luck to you as well!

• Posted

hi, I have a similar rash that my doctor says is a butterfly rash however I do know that different doctors have so many difference of opinion that another doctor would probably say that it's not. sent you see a dermatologist regularly I would try to get in at a time that the rash is flaring and they can tell you for sure possibly even small biopsy 😃 are blood work and symptoms do sound suspicious for lupus also look up psoriatic arthritis, it is very similar to lupus, and sounds like a perfect match or your symptoms including the elbows and ankles rashes, joint pain, fatigue etc

• Posted

Yeah, I agree that all doctors have their own opinions. I am going to see my dermatologist again in the spring for my yearly check-up, but after seeing the Rheumatologist in February, I am going to see what he thinks about a skin biopsy. The rash/redness on my face comes and goes extremely frequently every week, so it won't be hard to catch. People are always commenting on how my cheeks are really red or ask if I am hot... 😑

I will look up Psoriatic Arthritis as my PCP did tell me that if it's not Lupus, it could be another connective tissue disease.

Thanks for your reply!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.