Is this a cholesteatoma in my ear? (PHOTO IN THIS POST)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction a little less than two months ago. Started with a severe cold, flew to Jamaica and back for my anniversary, came home and realized something was wrong. My symptoms are ongoing pressure in my ears, mild ringing/pain/discomfort in both ears. I also had two episodes of vertigo almost exactly one month apart. Laying down to try and sleep is a nightmare. I'm sure anyone who's had ETD knows how horrible it is.

Now I'm wondering if I have a cholesteatoma in one OR both ears. I took pictures with my phone because I swear I feel something stuck in there. It looks like a white ball with wax on it. It may be hard to tell, but maybe some of you can see it too. Has anyone on here ever had a cholesteatoma? Does it look like a white ball-ish type of object? Did it have yellowy/brown wax on it? Sometimes in some pictures it looks like I have scrambled eggs in my ears! I'm looking for any help I can get. 

I've done nasal sprays, allergy meds, prednisone steroids, and more for the ETD. Now I think it turned into something else like cholesteatomas. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

PLEASE BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE PHOTO OF MY EAR AT THE BOTTOM OF MY POST. 
  • Posted

You can't see cholesteatoma from the outside of the ear, I've been told its often even missed by ENT doctors because it's really difficult to spot unless you're looking for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.