Is this a common anxiety symptom?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past week whenever I feel anxious and my anxiety kicks in, I get this tight/ lump throat feel sensation that makes me feel like I'm choking or something is stuck inside my throat and then I would get difficulty breathing and a racing heart because of it. Is this part of an anxiety symptom? This is something new I been experiencing. My only common symptoms is the sweaty hands, nausea, headache, feel like I need to pass out, shortness of breath and negative thoughts. I've been dealing with anxiety for 8 years and I just want it to honestly go away since it seems like I keep discovering something new that I keep thinking I might die from it.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

you have symptoms of anxiety and also panic. but always remember that none of them will cause you to die. I know how miserable they feel but the best thing you can do is get some support in anxiety management.i’ve accepted the fact that I may have this the rest of my life so that’s why it’s really important for me to have support. others might be luckier and find that it’s not permanent. have you ever tried medication for anxiety and panic?

New symptoms can always show up but when we panic it just makes everything worse. I have an attitude of OK I have this symptom, now I need to buckle down and take care of myself in every way possible. Also I have a weekly counselor meeting online. It’s good to talk to somebody else who can help. in the past I would panic about any symptom which made it stronger.

hope you feel better soon!

• Edited

Hey Shanny1997. Yes I have anxiety and I have had this before, not nice! I would say when it comes to anxiety symptoms, the body works in the weirdest ways, and you can have new ones pop up all the time. Just hang in there, it will get better. Take care x

• Posted

Hello Jessie. And you're definitely right with how ridiculous the anxiety symptoms can cause alone. The lump in the throat and the constant feeling like something is there, especially after I eat something, I feel the sensation like it could be stuck, but I'm not choking while also drinking and continuing to eat. It's such a nightmare for me to rush to the ER, thinking I might die from the food dislodged inside, but they don't even find anything and I would just feel so embarrassed for wasting their time. It's hard to remind myself that it's just anxiety since the symptoms feel so physical, like I might choke to death, even though I don't or never had. I would only get the feels of it. But thank you for caring and responding!

• Edited

yes! im feeling this way now... ive suffered from anxiety for years but the past year has been bad .. suffered trauma and then got covid... symptoms were not too bad but after its like .. i get anxious... and its worse than before ... i went to ER two days ago because i felt weak and i was getting strong palpitations... they did an xray and everything was normal.. but i still feel like i cant breath... like i dont feel it in my chest its in my nose throat area.. i feel like i cant catch my breath and then i do.. and i panic.. ive been under alot of stress lately and my mental health is horrible... but the breathing is whats bothering me .. its been happening for months and it had never been this way.. i really wanna go to ER again... everytime this happens i check my oxygen and its 98-99 .. and they did xray so idk why i continue to feel this way... i totally understand and i should know its anxiety but when its bad its hard to ignore .. which makes me depressed and anxious even more

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through this as well. Anxiety is so scary at times, it's so hard to convince myself that there is nothing wrong with me after getting blood test done. The pandemic really made it worst for me last year and this year as well. I get shortness of breath as well, that makes it feel like my throat is closing up, I would also feel dizzy, nauseous, a weird illness feeling I can't explain, numbness and tingles on my legs and feet. But the results are always usually normal with just slight throat infections which they would prescribe me with antibiotics, but that's about it. I hope one day you can learn to control your anxiety and tell yourself everything will be okay. It's definitely not easy. Take care of yourself. You're not alone.

• Posted

Its hard but today ill see a counselor and i hope she will be able to help me .. i suffer from PTSD and anxiety/depression on top of tons of stress.. its been extremely hard especially with covid .. thats just added on anxiety... i tell myself im not alone and getting on here helps me to see im not alone but i dont wish this on anybody.. its like a never ending cycle... and my mind runs and runs... but im trying to be postive and push myself to walk and eat better which is a start.. but same to you.. i hope you can find a way to fee better and not have to live like tht... i feel the same the symptoms are horrible and i hate that i fear the worst .. i try to pray about it and do bible studies and that has helped me... if you ever need to talk just mesage me .. its always good to talk to someoje who knows how you feel so anytime im here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.