IS this a crazy thought?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Trying to beat my depression/anxiety n self harming without medication?

what are peoples views?

so far ive had fluoxetine with no positive effect and sertraline which i reacted very badly to. Am currently letting my system clear from side effects of sertraline and am due to start citropram on tuesday but im thinking of refusing any more meds.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna many people on here are trying to do without the medication, but I havnt heard anyone succeed they are many medications out there I'm sure you can find one that might make you feel a little better, at the moment I am on venlafaxine but when I first came on here all the stories of coming off them frightened me so much I thought it better to try to stop them but I realised that I really needed them to function on a daily basis I keep telling myself if I had a serious condition I would not think twice so why do we keep trying to stop something that improves our life, speak to your gp and see what they say.

good luck

sue 

• Posted

Hello Anna, I suggest you kepp taking your medication for now, as it helps to keep things under control a little bit.

Although medications for depressions may not actually cure your depressive episodes, they can be really helpful to you in your short-term coping and functioning -  as they form a psychic screen between you and your problems (life chanlenges or negative or intrusive thoughts) - so that you will not be able to respond fully to those problems as you could have done without medications. That could explain why you aremore likely to self-harm when you are off medications.

Having said that, medications are not meant to be used for too long (although this seems to be the case in our societiurs today). So I suggest you seek the help of a good psychotherapist. I feel you'll benefit more from psychotherapy than from ordinary counselling.

This should create a long-tern solution that will set you up for a good future regarding your emotional and psychological well-being. 

• Posted

Im on day 3 from going cold turkey from sertraline and the side effects have pretty much gone. My mood however is dipping again i am losing patience alot easier than i was n am becoming very paranoid again. 

Im just sick of trying different meds in the hope they will help.

• Posted

I said yesterday that I was on mirtazapine for 5 1/2 years before I came off it.

What it takes is a degree of inner strength and determination, and awareness that the symptoms of depression will always be there; but through applying inner strength and determination in the withdrawal phase, you find that becoming self-reliant has given you enough skills to be able to sense (and avoid) the typical routines that lead to you feeling depressed.

What you're doing now is tough work. Seriously tough. I had 3 hours sleep in a single month when I was coming off mirtazapine but always kept my sight on the light at the end of it all, and I got through it. It was the greatest thing I had ever achieved in my life up to that point, coming off the medication.

If you need any tips or if you'd like to talk whilst coming off it, or need a distraction, feel free to send a message.

• Posted

Hi love I stopped taking my meds on my own and have had the worst month ever! Usually I have a really bad few days but I have just had a bad whole month, I have not been out of bed only to go to psychology appointments and toilet and the odd bath, I have felt so low lonely and wondered if I should carry on with this life so my advice to you is talk to your doctor don't think yet can decide for yourself because as much as you might think it's better to stop your meds and go it alone it's not!!! I have done this so many times and never learn and always and up back in hospital after trying to take my life, my kids don't live with me anymore and that's all down to me not listening to my doctor and thinking I know better. I hate the thought of having to live my life as normal as the next person by having to take tablets everyday but trust me it's so much better than losing whatever good you have in your life by not taking them and being a complete crazy person. Trust me you don't want the life I have at the moment, just to take that little pill or 2 a day is worth it, yes it's sh*t but worth it! X

• Posted

Hi Katy. Why have you decided to stop taking your medication if it makes you feel so bad. You advise anna not to stop taking her meds but you've stopped taking yours? Perhaps you should try going back to your doctor and see what they say. Diabetics have to take medication for life why is it different for us. 
    • Posted

Because diabetics don't have a choice. Those with mild to moderate symptoms can often alleviate a lot of the problems they experience through lifestyle changes.
    • Posted

Lifestyle changes! When your down you can't change your lifestyle..wish you bloody could. If it was that easy I would of done it and got my kids back. It ain't that easy!! You get into a hole and I'm sorry but if you could just shake your head and think " oh I'm gonna change" then I would and I would have my kids back and my family talking to me again. I would do anything for that but when your head is in this space that don't make sense it's really bloody hard!!!!!!!!

• Posted

I agree with you katy. If we could change our way of thinking we would. We don't choose to feel like this! 
    • Posted

No, I agree, you can't change during the onset of a depressive episode. The lifestyle changes come to prevent you from having more of them - a lifestyle change will give you that natural serotonin boost that medication can only 'attempt' to compensate for.

I'm convinced that a lot of people who experience depression suffer from a form of grief related to a lot of sociological and cultural shifts we've been forced to make but aren't what we've naturally evolved to become. Proof of that is in the fact that more people now than ever are diagnosed with depression; it's not about 'increased awareness' or the fact that 'depression didn't exist before; we just got on with it' – it's about the fact that we are simply reacting, naturally, to a cultural shift that is opposite to our being.

In this day and age, in our culture, most people are either worker ants or not, consumers working for whatever reason until we reach the age of retirement, and then just die, and if you start becoming self-aware of this, it can be immensely depressing to look at yourself, years before your planned retirement and say, “who am I?” and not be able to provide an answer.

Lifestyle changes, investing time in hobbies, doing things, being creative – that's what humans are good at. When we lack that, we have nothing. When we sense we have nothing, we become depressed.

Create something for yourself to prevent the depression.

• Posted

Do you know what wish I could just get a grip and give my head a shake! If you know how please let me know because all I want is to be " normal" or whatever that is!!!!!!!!! Please you seem to have all the answers!

• Posted

Katy, is it more important to be "normal" or just be who you want to be? The only person who puts pressure on you to be "normal" is yourself because you think that there is a set standard of "normal" behaviour in society. There isn't.

When you look at society, you quite rightly question "what is normal?" - this is a defensive mechanism that you put in place to reassure yourself that nothing is wrong with you.

And you know what? You're absolutely right. 100%. There is nothing wrong with you. How you look, how you act, how you dress, what hobbies you have, whether you have different political views to other people, whether you have different religious beliefs, whether you want children or don't... there is nothing wrong with you. It's everybody else and how they make you feel because they are part of a society where the desire, more than anything, is to 'fit in' and 'belong'.

People feel depressed because they don't fit in or belong but the reality is, nothing is wrong with them, it's just down to other people to allow them the space to belong in the same world as them but just in an emotionally different place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.