Is this a fibroid or something else.

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI, I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm worried sick.

I've had fibroids previously which have caused very heavy bleeding and extreme pain, like worse than labour, having been admitted to hospital with the pain many times. I am also very anaemic through the constant heavy periods.

Over the last few months I was put on the depo injection, which I constantly spotted throug, and also gained a stone in weight, so my doctor took me off this but the spitting has continued. I have had no proper period for about 6 months.

I have, in the last two months, started getting severe lower back pain and my stomach is very swollen. My bladder is also very sensitive in the fact that I'm waking up in the night to go to the toilet, and visiting there a lot more frequently in the day also.I visited my gp on Friday, 8th May, and after an examination she told me that my womb is swollen to the size of a 4 month pregnancy.

Now I have only been suffering these new symptoms the last two or so months but I am worried sick it is more than fibroids. My Gp has sent off for me to have an urgent scan to rule out cancer. She said she is 90% sure it is nothing serious, but you can't help but worry.

Has anyone else had these symptoms from fibroids?

Many thanks in advance.

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

  • Posted

    Sorry for the typos, and just to add I am 42 and have 3 children and I was sterilised at 26. If this info helps at all
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You'll have to wait for the scan. Once you have the results, the doctor will counsel you on your options. I had a fast-growing, degenerating fibroid with a funny centre that had a tiny possibility of being cancerous. I had a hysterectomy just to be on the safe side.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I'm not sure they will tell you at the scan but if there are other scans for comparison they would be useful.  I've had loads of the problems you mention and one large fibroid.  Although I was told that 1 in 10,000 could be cancerous, because my fibroid had been growing slowly over a decade I decided against a hysterectomy - in fact the hospital decided for me because they didn't put in my notes that they had recommended a hysterectomy and by the time I went for my next appointment the idea was quietly shelved.  But you may want to have a hysterectomy if either you are very worried or the fibroid is increasing in size rapidly.  Some fibroids do degenerate naturally when they become too large and cut off their blood supply.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks Cathy.

      Yes I do have other scans for comparison.

      My biggest worry is that the symptoms I now have are nothing like what I had before, so I am obviously thinking the worst. My Gp said there's 90% chance it's nothing serious, 10% chance of being cancer as she said she cant rule it out. So am praying that maybe a fibroid has grown to the extent that it has changed all my symptoms.

      So you still have fibroids and bo resolution then? It's so frustrating isn't it.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      What happened with me is I had two MRIs three months apart, so they could see just how fast the fibroid was growing.

      Unfortunately, there was no way to tell if the fibroid was cancerous without removing my uterus and actually examining it. I chose a hysterectomy rather than wait until cancer could possibly spread to other parts of my body and significantly reduce my life expectancy.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I too have fibroids. I recently saw a gynocologist who sent me for an urgent mri as she thought they could be cancerous. I had the mri 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet. Part of me thinks that's a good thing, the other part of me feels I should ring them up and try and find out what is going on.

    It took the hospital 5 weeks to send a letter to my gp to prescribe Esyma prior to having a hysterectomy. (I am on the waiting list.)

    My uterus is the equivalent to a 5 month pregnancy.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Oh my goodness. There seems to be no rush to this all.

      I hope and pray your news is good news.

      I would ring them up if I were yo, even to just check on the progress, seems silly waiting for a postman if you ask me 😀

      So it seems to Me that I am very much at The Beginning of all this as still waiting for scan appointment . I'm so Impatient , especially when It comes to my health.

      I contracted measles at work, in a hospital, 2 And a half Years ago and developed pneumonia and ended Up in intensive care fighting for My life, so since This I tend To act rather quickly on anything that doesn't feel right.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Aww thank you Gayle, I hope so too. I will try and find out what's happening. Mind you, the last time I tried calling the Consultants sec, the switchboard told me she had her phone off the hook!!!

      I wish you well with your scan, try not to worry too much and I hope you don't have to wait too long. xx

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi - I'm new to this but wanted to see how you got on if that's OK. I also have a womb of a 4.5 month pregnancy. Its suddenly grown after first being diagnosed 2 years ago. Like you, I'm worried sick it could be something more sinister sad my scan is next Friday xx.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Awww I'm sure everything will be ok. Please let me know.

      I had my scan just over a week ago and it is just fibroids... I have lots of them in my uterus and the largest one is only 33mms, I thought that was really small compared to how big my stomach feels, but my gp said that is quite large and the fact I have a lot of them in there is contributing.

      I have been referred to the gynaecologist and awaiting to see what happens there. My go thinks it will be either the fibroids removed or my womb, we shall see.

      I hope your scan goes well, try to be positive xx

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up