Is this a flare up?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

A few weeks ago I Became very constipated which is unusual for me lately as I have been very regular. Then one night I had the most excruciating pain which lasted about an hour.

I have been constipated again for the last few days and it was so bad that I was straining.

Last Saturday I ate a bagel which was covered in sesame seeds.

Yesterday the pain was so bad and it did not ease up and continued all evening. I also felt nauseous all night.

I Still have some pain and nausea and feel weak.

Could this be a flare up?I will hang on till tomorrow before contacting my GP (to get antibiotics) . I Have never had such intense pain. My previous flare ups were more nausea/fever based but this seems different.

I have been taking Buscopan and the odd paracetomol. I Hope this eases off by itself. I also keep a warm hot pack on my tummy which helps

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna sounds very like a flare up stop taking buscapan they constpapate you more start talking clear broth soups avoid red meat no seeds hope this helps go and get antibiotics before you get worse I've been hospitalised twice I only have this condition 7 mths

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Have stopped the Buscopan and going to see my GP tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi I take it you have been diagnosed with diverticula’s

If so and it’s as bad as you say it is you need to get to the Doctors ASAP for antibiotic medication RIGHT AWAY.

I have suffered this now for about 2 years and the last thing I want is to be going in to hospital.

I don’t eat seeds of any kind or meat unless its mincemeat.

I don’t know if you are in the UK but if you are I get from the supermarket Actimel probiotics I take 2 each day and also I have found only in the last few months Prunes.

I have been taking 6 or 7 each day through the day not all at once, you can get Dried prunes or prunes in juice, to keep me regular and it working.

You have got to look after yourself; you will get lots of good tip from this site

If you are being sick –high temperature or in a lot of pain go to the Doctors now

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes I am in the UK and had a confirmed diagnosis of DD last year (colonoscopy).

Am going to my GP tomorrow

• Posted

With my flare ups I get like labor pains (CONSTANT) right below my navel in the middle with fever and nauseated . I also get the blood and mucous . I would watch those seeds I hear they are not good for us that have Diverticulitis . I would call GP just to be on safe side if that pain doesn't let up.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

It was the most intense pain indeed. It seems to ease off then come back.

Feel wiped out and a lesson to be learnt that I Will never eat seeds again! My fault as I was told not to eat seeds by the hospital.

Still feel sick and seeing my GP tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support.

• Posted

Hi Anna, I also suffer like yourself and have pain most days when it is severe I class that as a flare up which can last for weeks sometimes longer it's the severe pain, nausea vomiting and fever that when its infected and you need anti biotics. avoid beans, pips, fatty foods, gassy veg and fruit, brown bread, stick to soup mash, pasta and white bread plain foods, also avoid things with skin like jacket skins.

Hope you get better soon, I also find fybogel is fab and delicious cafe tea or coffee a real help, drink plenty of water

• Posted

Parecetomal can make you constipated. Also you could have overflow blockage as other foods cant get past the blockage and cause alot of pain. What happens next is you get food trying to get past the blockage and seeps past the blockage as diarrhoea. Then you think ok Im not constipated but you are. Thats when you should not take imodium parecetomal. Best go doctors and get examined re constipation. I Find Buscapan gives me terrible wind but does stop swollen stomach retension re IBS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.