Is this a hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, for the past month I've been experiencing pain in my belly button. At the very beginning I assumed it was just an infection as it had a bit of a smell from it and was red looking but then the pain started to get worse. The pain isn't awful but it is definitely noticeable and can get worse at night when trying to turn in bed. I had a better look a couple of days ago and freaked out when I found a lump inside my belly button near the top. It's soft but it's quite firm and can't be pushed back in. Every morning when I wake up my belly button and the surrounding area feels wet and is smelly. I have anxiety disorder so I'm feeling really stressed out and nervous over this, I'm terrified about going to the doctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily, I'm not a Dr. but I've had an umbilical hernia, and it's symptoms didn't seem like anything you're experiencing. I felt some pain around my belly button, but there was no hardness. My "inny" became an "outy", and was very soft, like an air bubble. I was told that "that was my intestine" that I was feeling. I think what you're describing, sounds more like an infection to me. It's probably best to get a professional opinion, but maybe some antibiotic ointment might clear it up.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to the doctors this week to get it checked but panicking over it. I thought it was just an infection too until the lump appeared and now my mind is going crazy with different possibilities over what it could be. I would add a picture but I'm not too sure how to.

• Posted

Sounds like an infection to me.  I've had an umbilical hernia, and there is no odor nor discharges associated with umbilical hernias.  

• Posted

I'm hoping that it is just an infection. I've got the doctors tomorrow so at least I will know for sure what it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.