Is this a normal course of mono?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hey everyone,

My name's Jesse. I'm a 30 year old guy from Los Angeles and I've been reading many of your stories. I thought I'd share mine and get your feedback.

I own a business, work hard, and am generally in good health. In November I did two intense trade shows where I was on my feet 7-8 hours a day for weeks.

At the end of the month I felt very tired and developed what I thought was a bad flu (sore throat, body aches, headache, fever, malaise, pink eye, sinus pain, congestion, brain fog, fatigue. However no lymph swelling or neck pain). Most of the symptoms went away in about 10 days except for the fatigue which intensified to the point where I've been more or less bed ridden for 4 weeks. I was hospitalized overnight about 2.5 weeks ago to rehydrate and it was there that I tested positive for EBV / mono.

Some days I feel like I'm getting better, other days are worse. The brain fog, malaise, and headaches have dissipated over the last 2 weeks but the fatigue is holding steady. I also have very strong anxiety, occasional mild chest pain, and some depression (which is due in part to now being dependent on my parents and not working / exercising).

I was able to walk about a block a week ago but today I could only walk half a block before I got winded, and that's what's concerning me the most. Why is my endurance worse than it was? Will this fatigue ever go away?

Would love to hear some recovery stories after a couple months in (especially about how the fatigue lifted), and anything that helped.

Thanks!

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jessie, I don't have a recovery story. I'm in month 6. I have been able to walk around the block then could barely walk to bathroom. Just listen to your body and rest if fatigued. You must respect it as difficult as it is to not just keep moving forward . This virus doesn't seem to go by the normal getting better each day.

Most if us battle anxiety and depression with this virus.

It is different for everyone. Hope you have a short recovery time.

Rhonda

• Posted

Wanted to add that it's very kind of you to offer encouragement in the midst of dealing with the illness yourself

• Posted

Hi Jesse,

I had mono the summer of 2015 that lasted about 3 months. It is a strange virus with a vast array of frightening symptoms. I had to give up work and go into hybernation for the summer. It was one of the worst experiences of my life which is one reaseon I'm still on this forum to encourage other people that their life is not ending-even though it feels like it is. For me rest and vitamins were key to getting better and just time. It was so frustrating and so hard to be patient. This virus doesn't care how healthy you used to be, it is just mean. But know that eventually you will recover. It is differnet for everyone. My doctor thought I should be well in 6 weeks-ha! It took much longer. Even after I recovered I still had to pace myself, not push through tiredness and still take care of myself. I still have a brief episode frome time to time and I still take tons of vitamins and try to sleep as much as I can. It's a virus you will never forget having, but you will get well eventually. This forum is a great place to stay encouraged! Hang in there, you got this smile Don't forget to pray!!!!

• Posted

Great advice Forget Me Not, especially the bit about praying - God has got your back on this one if you ask Him for help smile

• Posted

Forgetmenot99 - Thank you so much for sharing your story. It gives me hope that you got better even when it seemed like you wouldn't. It's so hard being stuck laying down all day / night unable to function like a normal person without seeing measurable improvement.

What did it feel like when the fatigue finally lifted? And are you able to live a normal life today?

• Posted

Yes pretty normal! I still seem to require a lot of sleep and I still take loads of supplements, but overall I am probably pretty normal! I do still approach things more cautiously than I did before the virus. It was just so life altering for me that I now pay attention to my body and try not to push myself too far when I am tired. I do sometimes worry about it returning...yikes! I probably need to ask Craig if he ever worries about that because I think it has been a few years since he recovered.

You will get there wink Don't forget to pray!!!!

• Posted

I'm trying to keep in mind that fear is a liar and worry is my enemy. They say this virus feeds off stress so I am trying to stop feeding it.

False Evidence Appearing Real.

Keep your faith active. Hoping we all move forward to health and peace.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Jesse,

So sorry to hear about the terrible time you've had with mono the last couple of months, I really do sympathise because it is a horrible virus to cope with.

For me, I went through very similar symptoms in the first couple of months, these are without doubt the worst months Jesse, I want to reassure you. I was the same, so tired and malaised and feeling horrible and thought things would never get better, but eventually they do, the frustrating thing is it can take a number of months sometimes for some people. The post-viral fatigue and symptoms can take time to recover from but they DO go and you WILL get back to full health in time.

It's hard to be patient though I know, so frustrating. The best thing really is rest and living a simple life, working through is and stress are the worst things really and can set back recovery in my view. Also take a good multi-vitamin, and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and oregano can help, as can high dose of Vitamin C (1000mg a day) and B complex and Co-enzyme Q10 for energy levels.

I want to offer encouragement through that the fatigue and symptoms will lift and will go, it is not unusual for it to feel worse in the early months after infection, so don't be discouraged, your body takes a battering with this but then eventually it gets on top of the virus and I really believe you will make a full and complete recovery in time Jesse and get back to an active way of life again - hang in there.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig. I've been seeing your posts in here. It's great that you've come back to give people hope, shows you really care.

Do you think it's a good sign that my only remaining symptom is severe fatigue? And what did it feel like for you when your fatigue lifted? Was it gradual or all of the sudden?

• Posted

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your kind words, I do definitely want you to concentrate on your recovery and just taking things easy and trying not to worry about things, extremely hard as that is in the circumstances I know.

I definitely think it's a good thing that the fatigue is the main symptom remaining, that can be the one that lingers longest and that's why you need to give it respect and take plenty of rest and do the right things, frustrating as it is. It can take time so hang in there.

Overall it was a gradual thing the fatigue lifting for me but more in a kind of spiked kind of way, where I would feel like it would stay the same for a while and then I might feel a bit better in a short space of time, then at other times might feel like I was going backwards a bit. It was strange but I want to encourage you that if at any time it feels worse or like it's going backwards, I would say it means it's just another phase of your recovery, every day away from the infection is a day towards recovery and you will get there, sometimes it can be ups and downs on the way, backwards and forwards, but overall the graph will move in the right direction and in time things will come back to you - again don't panic if it's not right away it can take time but really you will get there, I truly and honestly believe that for you Jesse, so try not to worry even though I know it's so hard not to.

Craig

• Posted

Hi, I am in my 30s and a stay at home mom of three kids, ages 2, 4 and 7. I have been battling mono for three and half months now. It has turned my life upside down, and I guess I am looking for encouragement. I feel like I am a prisoner on a slow moving roller coaster. A good day for me is not feeling that sick feeling and having enough energy to interact with my kids for most of the day, except for a 2-3 hours mid to later afternoon when I get tired and rest in bed. I usually cannot fully nap because my small children are loud. I've slowly made progress to have more of these "good" days, but just when I think I might be done with the "bad" days, they come back. I will feel fatigued right away in the morning and my temp will go up in the 99s and I feel that sick feeling. The bad days sometime come as just one or a few together. I feel so broken and so desperate to go back to the normal life I life to have. I want to live without second guessing every small action I take, wondering if drying my hair or cooking dinner will cause me to go down hill. I want to be able to care for my family again. Will I ever get there?

• Posted

Craig, Hi. Very new to the forums. Can you tell me more about the vitamins/supplements you’ve had success with. So far I’m taking 1000 g vitamin c, lycine and a b12. Nothing’s really working yet. At least it seem s that’s way. I’m a month into my mono journey.

thanks,  sean

• Posted

Hi Denise... I'm at the end of my second month with Mono symptoms. I have the same fatigue you have going on ... I feel ok semi normal for like 2 days then I start to get super tired and low grade fever. My left knee just started hurting slightly today as well which is odd. Luckily I don't have the super brain fog or off balance feeling anymore ( just jinxed myself!) I was wondering it seems you posted this a couple months ago ..,   How are your mono symptoms now???

Btw I'm in my 40's so have the weird adult mono - no idea where I got it.... and trying to take care of my toddler is while like this is really difficult to say the least. ...   ugh 

When will it Go Away??!!!

• Posted

Hey Forest,

Really sorry to hear you've going through mono, empathising having been it through it myself about 11 years ago when I was in my mid 20s. It really is a horrible and misunderstood virus, when I first had it the doctor said 4-6 weeks and kept reading that or 6-8 weeks everywhere and wondered why I wasn't getting better in that time frame when the doc said I should. I do understand now having been through it and also known of others experiences it can take a number of months for many unfortunately, however most important thing I want to reassure you of it that it DOES get better and it will go. And the first 2-3 months were definitely the worst for me and the intensity does lessen after that - during that period you just feel awful all the time, and it won't always be this way. Full recovery will come Forest, hang in there and don't panic if it still takes a bit of time, because you will get there with this. 

Things that helped me included taking vitamins and herbs - a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B complex (great for energy levels), high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), enough Vitamin D and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echicea.

Also just to reassure that this kind of intense fatigue and low grade fever is very normal - I had it constantly during the stage of the virus you are at now and it really is horrible and debilitating - please do be kind to yourself and get plenty of rest, that is most key to your recovery, rest and reducing stress. A key mistake people often make with this is to try and push through it like a normal cold or virus, but that just sets you back often with this and your body really needs time to recover and a less stressful and more restful lifestyle for a while (which I know isn't easy with life's pressures - but put yourself first and be kind to yourself).

Thinking of you and hang in there - the forum here has some great people on it who give good advice and encouragement, knowing what it's like to go through the virus. And remember you WILL make a full recovery from this - I truly believe that having been through the same.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.