Is this a normal reaction to a blood test? It hasn’t happened before

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies/gents,

I had a blood test 5 days ago and I have this rather vast bruise thats developing and seems to be getting worse before it gets better. My Doctor is saying this is a normal reaction but I've never had it before and I hate to say it but my Doctor has been totally fobbing my problems off so I wanted a second opinion.image

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi it always looks worse than it is, sometimes i get tiny little bruise, sometimes none and sometimes a big dark one especially if I haven't drunk enough fluids before or nurse is a bit heavy handed, i had a lot taken a while ago and most of my arm was bruised badly

So i would definitely say don't worry

• Posted

when you have your blood taken and they give you that cotton wool and tell you to press, you need to press hard for a couple of minutes otherwise you can bruise badly, particularly if they were rough and not precise with the needle. Things like alcohol, aspirin or non steroidal medication (like ibuprofen) can make bruising worse.

• Posted

I do not think that is the norm, but it has certainly happened to me before. During an ablation they put in a arterial line in my wrist. I was bruised from my fingers right up to just about my elbow.

Yours is turning yellow so it is healing nice and quick. I don't think it looks that bad.

• Posted

This bruising also happens if after you had the blood taken, you bend your elbow. Years ago they always told you to bend your elbow up, but no longer tell you to do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.