Is this a parasite? Help please. Multiple negative results.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 27 yr old male. For the last two years I've been plagued with abdominal and intestinal issues. I was diagnosed with IBS and gastroparesis. At the beginning I remember seeing flake like things in my stool. I told the dr and they did all the typical tests for parasites and stool samples. Tests came out negative. 2 months later went back in. Did same tests and negative. But symptoms kept on getting worse and I was having the classical anal itching. So I suspected pinworm. Even though my doctor said tests were negative I requested medication which I reacted really badly too and had to stop after two weeks.

Anyways I spent the next year or so just dealing with it. The abdominal bloating, gas, random bouts of unexplained constipation and diarrhea, and nausea and vomiting.

I was able to get some of the "specimens" in a photo. I'm guessing pinworms. Thanks for any help. Would like treatment ideas too. I tried that diatom stuff and didn't care for it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anyone know how to post pictures from iOS.
  • Posted

Get an ova and parasite tool test ? 

If it is negative, then it could be just IBS with undigested fiber in your stool .

• Posted

Hi Kyle. It probably is. These Drs. don't take Parasitic Infections seriously. I think it is because they really don't have any experience with it. I have been dealing with multiple infections for a few yrs now and am treating myself. No sugar, low carbs etc. I had tried the Albendazole for 7 days and had a bad reaction. After that the Infectious Disease Dr. just blew me off.

• Posted

My 2 year old has had a roundworm infection since she was 6 months old. Apart from being borderline anaemic & slightly elevated levels of eosinophils, all her parasite stool samples came back negative. It was only when I found a dead long roundworm in her poop that we finally found the cause of her problems, by that point she had been showing symptoms for over a year! Her paediatrician & gastroenterologist said with only slightly elevated readings it never even crossed their minds she had a parasite despite having all the symptoms of a parasite.

It took my little girl 3 courses of mebendozole & a course of albendozole & it appears we have finally gotten rid of the parasite.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.