is this a pneumothorax?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had 2 pneumothorax on my right lung and had to have pleuradesis done. This was 7 months ago. Lately I have been feeling faint and dizzy. I went to the hospital they said my pressure was low 90/60. Then the doc listened to my lungs with a statoscope and said my lungs sound fine. He also did a EKG/ECG. Which was also fine. I don't have chest pain or shortness of breath but I was getting chest pains and indigestion in the left side but the doc said its acid reflux coz I had just been to the hospital last week for chest xrays. I took nexium and the pains went away. I feel like I'm not breathing properly when I focus on my breathing but then I take a deep breath and I breath fine. I can't stand or walk without feeling like passing out. The doc at the hospital have me pills to raise my blood pressure. Could the low blood pressure be caused by a pneumothorax or is it just me. I've been feeling faint for a while but it wasn't that bad now it's unbearable. I also have anxiety so I don't know if it could cause this. It doesn't feel like anxiety it feels like I'm dying. What I had all the blood tests done and they came back clear. What could be causing the low blood pressure? I noticed that I feel worse when its hot. Any help?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How low is your blood pressure and what on earth did the doctor give to raise it?
  • Posted

Hi my blood pressure was 90/60. But I still feel the same. He gave me Akrinor. The main ingredients are Cafedrine HCl and Theodrenaline HCl. My right hand seems a bit more pale than the left and my lips are a bit purple.
  • Posted

My sats(blood oxygen levels) were fine though
  • Posted

The Brisitsh National Formualry (the prescribers reference book in the UK) does not have these drugs. UK doctors do not believe in 'low blood pressure' as a diagnosis except in emergency situations where there is an obvious cause like acute dehydration, blood loss, heart failure or a drug side effect etc. so drugs like you mentioned are not available.

pneumothorax does not cause the symptoms of faintness unless the oxygen is low.

you may be hyperventilating which can cause faint feeling and dizziness and tingling of extremities. Do you get a rapid heart rate/irregular heart rate which might be causing this? May need a 24hour ECG to rule that out.

What country are you living in? If it is due to hyperventilation/anxiety then You might be able to get CBT to help you cope with this.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was actually admitted for anxiety but it didn't work because I left too early and didn't take the medication when I left because I felt ok. But then I started feeling bad again and now I don't know what to do. Do you think I should go back to the psyc ward? I don't mind going but I feel like I'm wasting everybody's time.
    • Posted

Different health systems have different ways of organising these things. In the UK you couldn't just go back to a psych unit if you felt like it! Some countries it is easy to get things like CBT, others have other ideas. So hence the question to get you the help you need.
    • Posted

I'm from Mexico. Y won't they allow me to go back?
    • Posted

I don't know how it works there. In the UK hospitals are very reluctant to admit psych patients as there are so few place available. Psychosis, suicide risk or dangerous are the main categories for admission here , or so it seems. 

Maybe in Mexico it is much easier , good luck. G

• Posted

I have the exact same problem.  Except my stomach problems is On the Rights side. The dizziness is litterally at a point where suicide has become like a salvation to me. Life quality is almost zero at this point. This was my 5th pneumothorax.... now i cant even work. This is killing me

• Posted

Hi jeppe88298

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.