Is this a pollen allergy symptom?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I am new here.

One week ago, i took an ibuprofen and got some tingling in my tongue. I have been having health anxiety every day since then.

Pollen is kinda strong in my country these days and i'm sensitive to it.

I know that pollen can cause tongue tingling indirectly via oral food allergy syndrome but can it also cause it directly? My tongue has been tingling on and off and today it happened even though i haden't eaten for hours, meaning i can't be convinced it was because i ate some of the foods that trigger oral allergy syndrome since the reaction usually happens quickly .

I also started drinking carbonated water daily 1 week ago, could that play a role?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I suspect that it is nerve related rather then allergy. Is it possible that you bit your tongue prior to this? Quite honestly I have been experiencing what feels like an electric shock on my tongue for many years. But mine hurts really bad, enough to wake me from a deep sleep. I did the rounds of dentists and oral surgeons and got nowhere. Some said it was burning mouth syndrome, but I knew I didn't have that condition. My symptoms do not match with burning mouth at all. I think they like to give someone that type if diagnosis when they don't know what the problem is. I still get the zaps every now and then. They do seem to come in groups and then will stop for a while. I'm afraid that if you do the round like I did, it will only increase your anxiety. But if your determined then in my opinion you should start with your dentist rather then you doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I bit the side of my tongue recently but don't really remember if it was before or after this started. The bit was on the side though and the tingling is only at the tip and i also feel some discomfort in my throat. I have heard that the discomfort in the throat can happen with pollen but not sure about the tongue part.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I pray that God gives you full healing and peace.

• Posted

Or the bit could have been at the tip now when i think about it. Don't really know. But thank you so much for bringing it up. I guess it is a possibility.

• Posted

Yes. Tingling tongue is an allergy symptom. Not sure why people are telling you otherwise
    • Posted

Hi John. Is it a symptom of air borne allergies such as pollen as well? Or only for food etc?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.