Is this a prolapse? Help!! Scared!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

sorry for the picture but my doctor wont see me for another 2 weeks due to covid. I'm currently 7 weeks post partum. Ive had this bulge for 4 weeks now and it hasnt gotten any better. It just feels like a soft bulge but it doesn't really feel like a lump. I am not sure if its a prolapse or normal part of recovery. I dont really have incontinence but i do feel like i need to hurry to the bathroom when i need to go. if this is a prolapse, would kegels cure this? Im very scared and im scared it will get worse. Im scared to lift anything or even go for walks. Its affecting my mental health and I feel like im not being the best mom to my beautiful baby. 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you are still really early in the recovery phase after giving birth. Its also often not possible to judge from an external picture whether you have a prolapse unless it is severe. The important thing is to keep doing your kegels. There are also some amazing online resources that you can follow which will show you how to exercise and ensure your pelvic floor is safe. I found these helped tremendously. Avoid heavy lifting and straining (especially on the loo) and high impact exercise and it is highly likely that any prolapse you have will improve and even resolve. By heavy lifting I would mean lots of shopping. Lifting and carrying your baby is absoloutley fine. I had a similar experience after my first and it resolved. However it recurred after my third baby (who was massive) more severely. Also not helped by me stupidly taking up running and at that point I was very symptomatic. However even then, I was offered an OP which I went for and now everything fine again.

It takes time to recover from pregnancy - enjoy your time with your newest family member. I hope this helps, I remember spending so much time after my first worrying and everything just snapped back into place at about 8/9 months.

• Posted

Hi lovely, it looks like it could be but whether that is part of childbirth recover i am not sure as i don't have children. I do have a severe prolapse and my first part of treatment was physio which is basically kegals.

After pregnancy and birth your pelvic floor muscles will be loosened a lot and so it will definitely take time for them to go back to normal. As i said i don't have children but i think starting them now will put you in a really good position and start things tightening up.

My physio nurse gave my the therapy and she said to do the exercises which i started off slowly as it can be tiring on the pelvic floor so work up to doing the full sets at your own pace.

Make sure your bladder is empty first then lay down on your bed or sofa and do these sets.

Long hold kegals

Tighten your pelvic floor muscles.

Hold tight and count 5 seconds.

Relax the muscles and count 5 seconds.

Repeat 10 times

Short hold kegals

Tighten your pelvic floor muscles.

Hold tight and hold for 1 second then relax the muscles for 1 second.

Repeat 10 times

Whilst you are doing these exercises place the palm of your hand on your stomach. If at any point you feel your stomach muscles start to engage this means your pelvic floor is now fatigued and needs to rest until tomorrow.

I hope this helps, I had a completely disengaged pelvic floor and after 8 weeks of this therapy my pelvic floor was working and my incontinence dramatically reduced. Kegals are great i definitely recommend giving them a go.

I know it's really hard but try not to worry too much, it will be okay. Focus on your baby and doing these exercises for now and once the drs are open I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

Any questions just give me a message.

Rachael

🙂

• Posted

Hi,

First thing, and I know it's not easy but try not to worry, whether it's a prolapse or not it's not going to suddenly get worse, your innards are not going to fall out. I lived with a prolapse for decades before it got worse at menopause.

Some prolapses can be corrected by pelvic floor exercises especially when you are young with good muscles so don't waste any time, get going with them 3 times a day and you might just get back into shape. Be careful about lifting anything heavy (tighten up before doing so) but do go for a walk with your baby, just take a gentle stroll if you're worried and wear soft soled trainer type shoes to soften your footsteps and don't squat for any reason.

You will feel better once you have seen your doctor, it's the waiting that's difficult I know but write a list of any questions and ask them all so that you don't leave still worrying. I know it's hard but try and concentrate on your baby this is a special time for you that you won't get back but the prolapse situation will get sorted so don't let that worry take over. Even if you eventually have to go for surgery that too will get done and be over (and it's really not that bad). Don't read all the horror stories and get into a state these are not the norm and you are young so your outcome should be good.

Good luck, give that baby lots of cuddles, take lot's of photo's and look back on this time with pleasure and happiness not a time filled with worry.

• Posted

yes that is a grade 2 prolapse...I know because I had one and I had surgery for it at 23 years old and I'm about to have another surgery because the last one failed and I just turned 24 at the end of April

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.