Is this a pulled muscle, or hiatal hernia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

ok i need help guys. Back in October i was under a log of stress, bc i recently lost my uncle. i have acid reflux also. i stressed out so much I had what felt like a Crawling tingling sensation go from one side of my mouth to the other. It went down my throat, and to my stomach where your esophagus meets your stomach. when it hit that area I had this warm sensation, and i got really sick. so i went to bed. after awhile it eased up enough to where i could lay on my back, so i rolled over, fell asleep. after about 15 minutes I jerked myself awake, and i moved upward like when your doing crunches. I felt something pull where the warm sensation was. When i got up the next morning i could barely walk. every step i took hurt. the pain even went up in the middle part of my chest. my acid reflux has been worse since this happened. i had a EGD and everything was normal. the pain is better, but could this be a hiatal hernia. i went to a chiropractor, and told him what happened and he said it was a pulled muscle, but im just not sure.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As you have had an endoscope and it's normal, that would suggest no HH. As the pain has eased that would also suggest whatever it was has settled down. As you mentioned you have lost someone in your family, so sorry for your loss. The upset from that could have affected your acid reflux, stress is a big factor. Hope the symptom doesn't return. Best wishes.

• Posted

ok thanks. im afraid the stress has made my reflux worse bc since this ordeal my throat is red and irritated, and the acid went up through my nasal passages. I also have little bumps in the back of my throat. They have went down, but not completely away. Ive always been able to bounce back in the past, and be fine. This time idk. Will this ever go away? My gastro doctor said i have very little reflux. ive just been so down, and depressed. ive been this way since October.

• Posted

Hallo Andrew....please allow me to say ..i.am.so. Very Sorry, for your Sad Loss....and i.do hope that your problem is setteling down....reading your letter ...i could understand ..why you would think.you might have got an Hiatus hernia....but i.am. Quite sure that if that had happend..your examination would have showed it up...and your symptoms would have continued...and probably your reflux problem would have been much worse....with added symptoms.....i have suffered from hiatus hernia...and reflux....for fourty years..

..and the symptoms i get if it gets upset....are very painful...and take ages to.settle down....i like your self...have just suffered a bereavement ...rather sudden!!...up setting and very stressful....and went straight to.my stomach......still suffering....and i feel that its probably happend to.you too.....stomachs are very sensative...organs....and take in all our troubles and woes....but i.do.understand why you suspected an hernia.....but i dont think

it would have been missed...when you were examined....and feel.sure every thing will.settle down... Try to.take a bit more rest...eat things which will.help.to.settle your stomach... i can fully understand

your! concerns....and you did the right thing getting checked out....but i.feel sure...that all will be well....stress causes lots of symptoms when the digestive system is impaired....stress being top of the list...been there myself..more than once..so you arent alone....take time

out to.relax....i feel sure it will settle down...if you have any more concerns...have a chat with your Dr...he will.be able to.give you some thing to.help...... My best wishes, and my deepest sympathy...for your sad Loss.......Shirley

• Posted

thank you so much Shirley. That put my mind at ease. The only thing that is bothersome is my throat being red and irritated. I was also on a high dose of antibiotics for swollen lymph nodes. That a long with the stress, Im thinking was what messed me up. I Seen on here people talking about something called LPR, and, I'm alittle scared.

• Posted

Talking to your GP about your symptoms, how you are feeling could be a way of finding ways to help. I'm not a medical practitioner but am wondering if your throat problems are because your immune system has been affected. If that has been impacted your body will struggle to fight off infections.

• Posted

Well I don’t know. after I had that episode while I was laying in bed I rolled over in 20 minutes later my mouth started burning I went to the bathroom and I looked in the mirror and I shined a light in my mouth and the whole inside was Blood red my tongue turned Read and started burning. that’s why I thought I might have a hernia because none of this started Until after I jerked and pull whatever I did all I know is I haven’t been the same sense and it’s really depressing can The doctor Overlook or Miss A hernia on an EGD Because if everything was normal why do I feel the way I do I don’t understand it

• Posted

Dont worry Andrew ...i feel sure you will be fine...drink plenty of water....keep the acid flushed out....not soft drinks...and fruit cordials....not good fir hiatus hernia....Holland and Barretts..sell Slippery Elm powder..you canmake into.a

drink.... Easy to.make..good to.take at bed time....coats the stomach lining....protects it from.acid....not bad tasting......and Gaviscon ...Double action...is good too.....but not on prescription....worth keeping some in...helps a lot with heart burn.....and they also do.it in tablet form....you can suck....good to.carry with you....lift the head of your bed up.a little with blocks..help.stop acid refluxing up...while you are sleeping....and Goats milk......is better for people with reflux..and hernia..than cows milk.... Can buy from the super markets....keep calm...try to.relax...because stress increases the acid.... If you need to.talk any time..always happy to.help.you...take good care....no its not easy..keep.calm.....on bad days..try to.rest.....and relax......if you get up.tight and up set you make more acid....not easy i know..but try to.stay posative and calm.........keep water always by your bed...sip often......Shirley

• Posted

Thank you Shirley. I make sure and drink plenty of water. I'm staying away from sodas. I'm the worlds worst about stress, and worrying. Thanks for the encouraging words.

• Posted

No problem Andrew!...any time....i know all too well. What its like....i have put up with it for a lot of years....i know what its like...and we all need a helping hand...when things get tough ....it can be quite frightening at times.....just take great care of your digestive system...don eat fatty foods or meats..eat vedges....fish.but not fried...chicken...not a lot of sugary foods...those all make acid....porrige is good for breakfast...puts a lining..in your stomach..i use goats milk..less fat than cows....try to relax ..dont worry i.promise you will. Be ok......just look after your digestive system. really well.....take your Meds.....try doing a hobby which helps you relax....our stomach responds to.stress....keep it calm...and happy...enjoy your life!!....rest if it plays up...till it settles....down dont let it spoil what you enjoy doing....just be aware you have it...and take more care....it can be a pest..but by altering theway we eat...and what we eat....helps such a lot..eat litle and often..rather than big meals.....seems to.work better...if you need to.talk...get in touch.....i have had to out wit this problem for so long....will come up.with something......Shirley

• Posted

Shirley if you don’t mind me asking. what are your symptoms you have when yours acts up?

• Posted

Hallo Andrew...i dont mind telling you...i usually start with really bad reflux..so.bad my mouth is on fire even my tongue!!!and my stomach goes very sore on my left side......i get a really annoying cough....and cough up.clear mucus...my b ody produces that....to try protect my throat....lungs.....and stomach from the acid attack.....it some times stops me swallowing...so.i.have to.just take broth...and soup.....it can get so.bad i sometimes have to.take bed rest.....it can last weeks at times.....and very disruptive......i have to watch every thing i.eat.....sometimes i.can go.ages with out...then it hits out of the blue.......its also very depressing......and it o ften messes things like holidays up completly.....but there are people out there much worse off than myself.....and i enjoy been able to.help.people who.sufferer from.this miserable problem.....hope fully one day some one will find a cure....untill.then we will.have to.help and support each other....you take good care...eat well...rest when younfeel.you need it.. Dont push your self on....give your body the tender care...it asks you for......dont push your self on bad days....rest...and allow it to.settle.....if you look.on amazonuk

will.probably find a book to load down..which will.help.you.with your diet...to.keep it under control.....look for reflux disease.it will.help.

Shirley.

• Posted

well see thats why I thought i had a hiatal hernia. I was laying in bed on my back and i jerked myself awake, when i did, i felt something pull in the center of my upper abdominal area. not long after that my mouth started burning like yours does my tongue turned red and started burning. when i went to the bathroom, and Shined a light in my mouth the whole in side of my mouth was red, and so was my throat. I could barley walk the pain in my abdominal area was so bad. It even went up into the center of my chest. I know this sounds strange but the pain felt like it was coming from my esophagus. Every time I took a step it hurt. I went with my brother shopping later that night, and i could barely stand the seat belt strap on my chest. the presssure was so bad. I even got out of breath walking to his car. Ever since that episode my reflux has been worse, and i havent been the same since. like I said before though i had a EGD done and it plainly said on my papers Normal stomach, and normal esophagus. I know you have a hernia, but could a fast jerking movement like that cause one? I was already having a warm sensation in that same area from stress.

• Posted

I know none of you are doctors but here is a picture of my EGD . I wasn’t able to ask the doctor any questions because I was out and my mom is the one who spoke to him. So needless to say there was questions I had that were left unanswered. The dark areas in the Photos are what I’m worried about. As I said before I know you guys are not doctors but maybe an extra set of eyes looking at it maybe you can give me your opinion.

• Posted

shirley when your hernia occured, did you feel it? how was yours discovered?

• Posted

Hi Andrew....hope things are not too. Bad with you.....sent you lots of good thoughts and wishes......hope they helped you a bit.....well how did i.discover i had hiatus hernia!!...that is a fair question, and deserves a fair answer.....well.it all. Started when i.began to.h ave lots of dyspepsia....lots of upset tums..and heartburn....i.was going back wards and forwards to.the Dr...for months....and he kept giving me....various antacids.....pills ... etc.....i.must have taken every thing they had in the chemist....but nothing was working....so.in the end....he decieded. To book me into.the hospital day centre for the day....for investigation.....which i.did.....they gave me a sedative...then once that had taken effect.. The investigation was carried out....at the end of it....i.was toldi.had a sliding h ernia......which means it can slide up.through the muscle...which seperates the

cavy ...

..and back.down again.......thus..causing the acid to.flow upwards....causing the heart burn.....there is an operation for this...but usually. not done unless an emergency...occurs...like the hernia getting stuck.in the hole....and not been able to. Return back down.....then the Op.has to.be done.....straight away....!!....so.far i.have been lucky...but i take great care not too.bend or stretch... Has thus could cause it to.go.up....and become stuck......so.far by eating a plain diet....and trying to.take care the best i can....and taking my medication..i.have muddled through.....do.get bad days...then i.have to.rest!!......nuisence!!... Try to.keep.calm......because if you get stressed...it causes the prob!em.to.get worse.....stomachs are very sensative organs.....and react to.stress....big time! Recently i had to.have my little westie terrier.put to.sleep...she was almost 18 yrold....and had developed. Kidney failure.....to.say i was up set was and under statement....because it happend so.

h suddenly.....just a few days later my hernia...problem..flared up.big time!!!.. And is still.very unsettled....upset and stress feed it....and make it react....so try to.relax....get more ME time...an do.something you enjoy...like reading...or watching a movi. or taking a nap...so.you will.relax....then so.will.your stomach......go.to.Holland and Bartetts..and get a pkt of slippery elm.food....very good for the stomach...make a drink.with it before you go.to.bed.....it will.help..just follow the instructions on the pkt....i take it all the time..good for.acid too .......coats the inflamed stomach.....old remedy...but.a good one......hope what i have told you will.help!!! If you.need any thing more...just get in touch any time......always happy to.help.......take care!!.keep calm.....rest......light food....you will.getbt there........Best Regards......Shirley

• Posted

I'm not doing too good. I'm having a lot of upper abdominal pain. It hurts to walk. Did you feel anything pull or move when yours happened?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.