Is this a reflux symptom? I'm not sure.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have grade 2 oesophagitis, my reflux is silent. I went to see the gi doc today and he said that because I feel a downward sensation of heat when I have a hot drink (starts about 3 inches below my ribs and spreads downwards, no pain in back or behind breastbone) that the reflux is worse and that I should double my dose of nexium to 80mg per day. I was under the impression I was getting better, so just wondering if anyone else has had this as a symptom. I thought it was more likely related toy stimach but what do I know,eh?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont know but I have lpr and now I have burning in chest. Like regular gerd. I use to just have lump in throat now I have mucus in throat and axniety. I thought I was getting better too. Now this. Expecting them to double my dose also. This sucks. Thats all I can say.
  • Posted

I have (had?) esophagitis and gastritis. The heat you feel might be due to the hot liquid touching inflamed lining of your stomach and esophagitis. That was my case. If it still inflamed, it might means that your stomach is still producing too much acid for it to heal, or maybe not enough time has passed for it to heal.
  • Posted

It's been over 6 weeks now. I didn't have this before the gastroscopy. It's weird. I'm going to see my gp tomorrow before I decide what to do about the meds. I'm worried about acid backlash as I can't be on that dose for a long time, I'm not happy to be doing that.
  • Posted

I had my endoscope. Then I got the burning in the chest didnt have it before the endoscope. Dint have mucus either. DISGUSTED
  • Posted

That's how I feel. The doctor wasn't interested in giving me another scope, just upping the meds. I tried to explain it had started after the s ope but he wasn't interested. It feels more like my stomach is burning rather than my chest, plus now I have abdo pain too. This is crap!
  • Posted

Hi I was on 80mg Nexium. I'm now tapering off and down to 40mg again. I'm glad I'm not alone as I've been given the run around by doctors also. My symptoms are much worse than when I approached my GP in November last year. My scope was normal but a nasal scope revealed slight redness at the top of the osophagus in January. I then got another bad burning up to my throat February which hit vocal chords and now I have issues with my stomach something I never had before! I'm really cheesed off it all especially since I've been on the low acid diet, drinking ph water and basically following everything to the book. I haven't slept flat for months and am a very low ebb with this now. My intention is to come off these tablets. I need to see if my body goes back to normal.

I have also paid to speak to 2 gastroenterologist and 2 ENT and they both have been useless I don't know whre else to go now.

• Posted

I hear you. You feel like you are grasping at straws. Did the 80 mg work on you? I cant even give you adice because whst works for one dosent work for another. I just want to be normal. Do you think your aniexty cauld make it worse? I hate this
  • Posted

Linda, I'm back on 40mg. To be honest for me there's no difference I'm still getting symptoms. I re did my peptest at 80mg and it was moderate compared to off the scale in January however I'm going to retest it again in a couple of weeks now that I'm back to 40mg. My intention is to come off ppi altogether maybe stay on ranitidine and herbal remedies. I'm also have another app with ENT next week as gastro guy has said I'm fine which I'm not ! I'm also getting reiki done which is very good for stress. Best wishes to you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.