Is this a return of IBS or should I be worried?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay, I'm a 20 year old male and was diagnosed with IBS at the age of 12. I was overweight, anxious and stressed a lot which really messed with my stomach. However, around the age of 15 I lost weight and grew in Confidence thus almost completely ridding me of my IBS symptoms. However, in June of this year, I had a sudden onset of Diarrhea one day. I would go to the toilet and once done I felt like I could go again. This felt like it could have been some kind of infection or bug. It went on for a week or two and really began to worry me. From then on I began obsessing over my bowel movements and worrying about having some serious underlying problem which was causing this diarrhea. The diarrhea did, however, clear up and completely stopped; only it left with IBS like symptoms again. Symptops, some of which I didn't really have last time, that are very IBS-like, such as: Bloating, occasional stomach pain, light brown mucusy looking stools, and i've had nausea once or twice. I should state, however, that during the past month or so I have been severly stressed and my anxiety is sky high. My first thought when I wake up is "I might have cancer" and my last thought before I go to sleep is the same. I've lost a few people close to me and I was constantly arguing with my Mother around this period too which really stressed me out the point of feeling depressed.

My stools, however, change so much. Which makes it hard to pin-point what could be wrong with me. They started a yellow kinda colour, and broken up. Then when I was relaxed and not really thinking about it, they would go back to normal colour but would be broken up and rough looking, and fairly easy to pass. When I would get really worried I would then pass diarrhea (which I know is because I'm nervous about my health), and then I'd go back to the mucusy looking stool. 

Over the past few days I've really tried hard to relax, and surprise surprise no stomach pain, bloating or mucus in my stools. I had a small bout of constipation which pased with in a day and then I finally passed what looked like a normal poop. The colour had gone back to normal and the shape was kinda healthy looking. However, after this when I go to the toilet I pass what looks like a normal stool (smooth-ish, fairly long) but it has broken up pieces of stool around it, some of which looks quiet flat looking. It seems odd that I can have a normal stool with something that is abnormal looking around it. If anyone has been through something similar I'd really like to hear from you. The Dr said it could just be my IBS flaring up again, but didn't really do much else other than a blood test. Which came back clear apart from my liver results being "slightly raised"? 

Apologies for this being all over the place, but my head kind of is at the moment as I've been so anxious about my health. I've just moved into my own place and I'm waiting to start uni, so I've had nothing to do with my time other than sit around by myself thinking I'm dying, which can't be helping my mental health at all. I think i've convinced myself I've had three different types of Cancer in the space of 2 month... haha.  

Thanks,

Shaun

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone again I think everybody needs to start approaching doctors differently what I do is research a little myself go in tell them what I think I have but I want other things ruled out that throws them off I think to the point where you're not saying what's wrong with me, what's wrong with me you give him a chance to deny you for whatever reasons they have and push you off until it gets more serious or go to the way whatever is easier for them. I tell him I want this test this test this test to rule this out so I don't have to worry anymore and I usually get it you just have to stay calm and not give him a reason to say go somewhere else. Last resort is send emails of what you want and what you think that's documentation makes them realize they need to do something for you. I just went to a new doctor so far they're pretty good when I walked in I told them I think I have a little idea she goes oh I'm sure you have IBS Jess from the symptoms I told her and I went on with what I was worried about it being and would like to rule these things out one being I have a small lesion in my liver she offered a tumor marker test just to ease my conscience of which I haven't got yet but have my follow up this week and sure I will get all my blood work then. But yes I can see how things like this cause major anxiety and obsessions and we do have to realize they look at the big picture but the worry is we don't want the big picture to be too late and they don't get that cuz its not them
  • Posted

Hi Shaun, it very much sounds like IBS due to the stress you are experiencing, however, to put your mind at rest you should go and see a doctor. Best wishes in your new home and good luck with uni. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.