Is this a side affect of Topiramate???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Topiramate for 18 months, gradually having to increase the dose, since August I have been on 100mg a day  and I have become unable to think straight! I can't remember anything -- not even a conversation I had with a friend two days ago, the wrong words come out of my mouth when I know what I mean to say..... At Christmas I got all my nephews names confused - I am a 52 year old who is normally quite 'sharp'. Has anyone else had this experiance? I think I need to come off these tablets but have been on everything else! (I have not had a stroke I have no other 'stroke symptoms')

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sally, Please take yourself off these lethal drugs, they nearly killed me 18 months ago and there are 100s of people on here having real serious problems with them.  If you check out my profile you'll see my post about the problems I had, the post is entitled something like "Please check your symptoms".  They are horrible, make you feel horrible and can have long lasting permanent side effects.  I had to go cold turkey because of the symptoms I was having, but that is not recommended, so you may want to come off gradually.  I have been on many drugs over the years and have now given up, I am 48 and had headaches/migraines for 40 years and have now come to the conclusion that the medical profession don't care and I've even gone private.  I am just going day to day and using my eletriptans as pain relief, it's not ideal but when you can't get help what else can you do??

Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks - I have lots of other side effects too - but migraines under control so thought it was worth the 'pay off'. I will look at your profile.
  • Posted

Hi Sally,  who told you to get on this Topiramate? Was it for Migraines? I would get off of it for a few days to see if your memory would inprove..but if a Doctor prescribed them? I'd call the Doctor to explain what you are feeling... Hope you start to feel better Sally.
    • Posted

It was my neurologist who has now retired and I have been discharged. I will go to the GP & get referred because I need to be sharp for my work - I can't go on like this! 
  • Posted

Hi Sally,

Yep it's he same for me sadly! I used to be 'sharp' too but now struggle with conversation! However for me it is worth it because you daily headache that would turn into migraine (if the right trigger was involved) turned my life to hell. I'm now 27 and have been unemployed for 2 years and one sick pay for for a year and a bit before that!

I have tried many different meds but these get me off the sofa and give me a background headache that I can deal with most days. And *touch wood* no kidney stones for me. Luckily I haven't had many side effects lately! So I would say if it's working for you then stick with it? But it's your choice.

• Posted

It's so hard - they have reduced the amount of migraines I get significantly, but I can't function! I have constant abdo pain, fuzzy brain, pins & needles, hair loss and excessive weight loss - I need to come off them but am terrified at the thought of having migraines again! It's rubbish isn't it!!!!!
  • Posted

Sally? You must take yourself off of this drug.. Listen buy you a bottle of Anacins, and if you feel the onset of a headache coming on, just take two... They are just no more then Aspirins and they get rid of my headache before it even has a chance to get bad....As soon as I see the aura in my eyes, I run and take two and most of the time? I do not even get the headache, and sometimes I have still gotten it, but very light, and I will take another two in about 4 hrs and that is it. Headache gone.
    • Posted

Thanks Margarita - I have started reducing my dose today - I need to come off slowly I think.
  • Posted

Hi

I had the same experience.  I only lasted about 4 months on them.  They did help the migraines but the brain fog was terrible.  Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever regained the same level of 'sharpness' I had before starting on them.

• Posted

Oh dear that does not sound good! I was hoping to go back to 'normal'!
    • Posted

Sally do not be discourage Hun...we are all different, and this does not mean that you will not go back to normal when you get off this med...I do agree what you said about wee I got yourself off of it little by little
    • Posted

Thanks for your encouragement. I have made an appointment to see my doctor next Monday, things have got to change.
    • Posted

I am happy to hear that you have made an appointment with your Doctor..we We also do need to take control of our lives...we just cannot just take meds that we know might be harmful to our health, just cause our Doctors tell us too. We must also keep in mind that it is for the Doctor's benefit for us to have to continue to keep going back to them,,,,this is how the make their money.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.