Is this a symptom of reflux?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, I've had all manner of symptoms over the past 6 months. I've noticed a lot of changes with my bowels/movements, etc. and for the past week I've had serious difficulty breathing at times. Had to take a few days off work, it was that bad. It's accompanied by an irritating dry cough and a tightness at the base of my throat/neck.

I actually didn't put 2+2 together until a few days ago that the two could be related until I took a Ranitidine on Sunday evening and found my breathing much improved through most of Monday.

Does anybody who suffers with reflux of any kind also have breathing issues with it? My sister apparently has something called 'Silent reflux' and we share similar problems - although, not all identical - with only a couple of years between us.

I have noticed my breathing has become a little worse after eating in the last week too.

My GP prescribed steroids and an inhaler for a week, assuming it could be asthma but I wasn't entirely convinced. The steroids helped somewhat, but the inhaler just gave me the shakes and barely helped my breathing. Any input would be great.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I’ve read a lot of people’s “entries” on this forum and I have heard some people mention gastric reflux and also hiatal hernia ‘s affecting their throats and causing them dry coughs especially at night whilst laying flat.

However, your Doctor obviously felt your symptoms warranted steroids and an inhaler which wouldn’t have been given to you lightly. Is your breathlessness improved? Are you still on steroids? If you are still on steroids and they are in tablet form make sure you take precautions to take them with milk or food as they can seriously irritate the stomach.

With reference to your bowel symptoms................maybe this is an  issue that should be addressed separately and investigated, but there are all sorts of reasons why ones bowels can be affected.........diet, stress, medication and anxiety, and of course an illness. 

Have you altered your diet since having gastric reflux? 

Have you excluded all caffeine, spicy foods, fatty foods etc etc. 

Having gastric reflux is a nuisance to put it mildly but if you’re lucky and careful with your diet and medication it’s possibly manageable.

Good luck

Take care and please let us know how you get on .

Thanks Jane 

• Posted

The diaphragm is very much involved in acid reflux, hiatal hernia and breathing difficulties.  There are exercises you can find on Youtube, blowing up balloons, yoga breathing, self massage.  Have you had an endoscopy to see if you may have a hiatal hernia?  One "test" to see, if you drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and water and it helps your acid tummy, that is an acid problem.  IF your symptoms get worse after drinking ACV in water, you likely have a hiatal hernia where your stomach tissue has pushed up into your esophagus.  I am so sorry you are suffering.  These symptoms are terrible.  I am right there with you and you are not alone.  Find a great gastroenterologist and thoroughly research everything you learn and ask lots of questions.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.