Is This a Umbilical Hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have had a smallish lump just above my belly button for sometime. Not sure when I noticed it, but it was several months ago. It does not hurt, is very soft, and disappears when I lie down. If I bend back, arch my back,  while working out it kind of pops out. I don't have any other symptoms. No pain. I've always had an easily upset tummy, but that's been for years and years. I had 3 kids and gained almost 70 pounds with each baby (starting at 120 and gaining all that and having very big babies). My last baby was 27 years ago. Anywho, I am currently going through a tough bout in life, and have severe anxiety. That's a big enough pain in my rear end, and now I find this (or started to refocus on it because I am super anxious about everything).

Can hernias be painless, soft, and disappear when lying down?

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a hernia, especially if you can push it in, and then it pops back.

Ask a doctor to be sure

• Posted

My doctor told me before that when straining, lifting heavy will pop a bulge. The bulge will go in when lying down and can push it in... Better go see doctor to make sure. I myself also keep go see doctor coz of a hard lump when lying down and can push in... 2morrow will go meet my doctor again for arrange insurance and operation. Good Luck for me.
    • Posted

My insurance approved and I going to have a laparascopic abdominal surgery on this Thursday. Wish me good luck again~
    • Posted

I sure hope your surgery went well!! Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Thanks. Juz finish my operation. It took 2 hours. Now waiting doctor come n tell me my sick.
    • Posted

Finally doctor come~ he said my abdominal look perfect, no adhesion, no hernia. and visceral fat cut down abit. 2morrow will hv a colonscopy test as he suspect i hv IBS. A day before surgery, x ray abdominal show i hv alot poop stuck up, drink laxative but no effect. Lolza~ again~ wish me good luck XD
    • Posted

Finally 2morrow i can discharge!!! But my pain my doctor no idea n juz gib me some medicine like buscopan, omeprazole... well! i juz on my medicine see whether my pain can control o not. Bless me! Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Sunny,

Sounds identical to what I had above my belly button. It turned out to be a small hernia, about the size of a quarter I guess. I did have surgery with mesh in December 2016 but the mesh did not agree with me and I had it removed on May 11th. The removal doctor did tell me that a hernia that small should have been on the "wait and see" list. Ask your doctor when you see him about the waiting instead of rushing into a surgery, unless your hernia is larger...like a golf ball. I would get checked though so at least you know. Don't rush into any mesh repair either. Some docs can use sutures which are much safer...at least in my case. That is how I am repaired now after the mesh was removed. Take care and good luck! Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.