Is this a VITAMIN b12 problem?

Posted , 5 users are following.

20 year old male from INDIA

8 months ago i was diagnosed with a b12 and D problem(very low levels)

Levels were VITAMIN D : 42.7 nmol/L (75-250 range)

VITAMIN B12: 119 pg/mL (211-911 range)

After getting 4 shots and supplementing(mbalmin 500mcg) for 8 months my B12 levels have risen to 272 pg/ml

i find this surprising as i eat a lot of MEAT and EGGS on a daily basis.I have the typical symptoms of b12 deficiency like Fatigue ,Tingling in hands etc

The problem is doctor told me that just because 272 is in the range,it is normal and i shouldnt worry.Reading up on b12 has made me realize that this is a true low level despite being in the range.

The doctor even told me that this level is common for people. What kind of doctor should i go to ?Who will take this problem seriously? Should i go to a blood disorder doctor? The general physician who originally diagnosed me didnt even wanted to get me on shots just supplements . WHAT SUGGESTIONS WOULD YOU GUYS GIVE,DOES IT SEEM LIKE A b12 problem or overthinking?

0 likes, 2 replies

Report / Delete

2 Replies

  • Posted

    Once you've been diagnosed with B12 deficiency you shouldn't be retested (here in the UK its in the NICE Guidelines and the BNF Book that doctors should read but many don't! Loading doses are 3 per week for 2 weeks and then every 8-12 weeks unless you have neurological symptoms and then its every other day til the symptoms go! )The fact that you aren't vegetarian means your body isn't absorbing B12 through food and you also need to take folic acid to make it work properly.

    If you take certain medications like metformin, omeprazole or ibuprofen type meds these stop you absorbing B12 and you need to be on injections for life. You need to go back to your doctor and insist on proper treatment.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I think you should follow the doctors advice, and try to figure out why you are experiencing these symptoms. I might not be a low level B12 vitamin assessment but something else. Its but to try alternative doctors. Doctors can make mistakes as we all as humans do. Get a second and third opinion if you need to from some other health professional.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up