Is this acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Who here has acid reflux and can help and tell me if what I'm experiencing is acid reflux?

Today I ran out of my omeperzol that I take for acid reflux and I have been having a harder time breathing mainly standing or walking, I get chest pains but also have been diagnosed with costochondritis so I'm not sure if this is that or the acid reflux. I also get this feeling in my chest where it almost feels sticky in there which is what makes it harder to breathe. Hard to explain but is this acid reflux? Has anyone felt this way before with acid reflux? Any help would be great!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have these exact symptoms for 2 years plus rib-cage and upper back mild pain. I can deal with the upper back mild pain and even the rib-cage pain but the pressure, like something is under my breast bone, like something sticky like you said. At night when I sleep it gets 80%-90% better, but I have the symptoms all day long and it starts mild and goes up to moderate during the afternoon.

I had all the GI, cardio, pulmo, Allergies and ENT test with nothing besides some mild reflux on my esophagus, and some neck and back issues which I will have an answer very soon. First they said it was anxiety, then reflux, then COPD and now they said is not any of them.  What a guessing game. ;-(  I have asked them if it could be costochondritis which has not cured so it gets worse and they said no many times.  I have had chest and back CT which shows my back conditions, but my chest is perfect and so is my heart.

• Posted

Yes! All exactly what I have. I get pain in ribs and back and chest too! Does it hurt when u push on ur ribs or chest in certain areas? Then it's most likely costochondritis! But it doesn't always have to hurt when u press on it sometimes just when it flares up! I've only had and ekg and chest X-ray for my heart and they say my heart looks really good but I'm still worried because I get a racing heart a lot then it will slow down when sitting and even bending over. Sometimes bending over my heart skips a beat... I'm still worried about my heart! I never had any tests for acid reflux I just told my doc what I was feeling and she said yep u have acid reflux and ordered me pills.

When I lay down and am stretched out I feel like I can breath better, but the discomfort usually always stays with me and feels like it's right under my left breast and behind it and can be in the center as well! So glad you can relate because all I have been doing is worrying constantly!

• Posted

Yes, most of the time they don't hurt when I push them, but sometimes when the pain and pressure is high I do feel the pain when I push.

As for the heart, when this all started my anxiety kicked in and my heart was rapid as well.  But after all this time I no longer have the heart problem because I know is not heart related.  Cardiologist kicked me out of his office and said he did not want to see me anymore. (Sure, it was in a nice way telling me my heart is healthy) 

Now, I also saw a functional medicine and I did some generic testing which I came out with High Mold, Gluten sensitive and the Celiac gene. My 2 GI Doctors saw the results and they said that if when I eat gluten it doesn't give me pain, then to go back to eating Gluten.   My functional put me on a FODMAP/Grain Free diet and after 2-3 months I saw no improvement. Actually, it got worse. ;-(  She said, it could take up to 4 years to feel better to I fired her.  jejejeje  I wasted over $3400 cash on her and the Chiro she recommended thinking this could be a Vagus Nerve problem but it wasn't.  Yes, I also saw a Neurosurgeon which said I do have some issues but they are not creating any problem so he sent me home as well.  So right now I still believe the reflux on my esophagus is part of the problem but I do not take any medication because my 2 GI's believes is not related to my problem.  Just in case, I have done 3 endoscoy, 1 PH Bravo, Manomotry, 2 Colonodcopies and many more testing which shows I have mild reflux on my esophagus, but normal acid levels and my valve is working properly.  Yes, I also did the test where the put a tuce in your nose al the wy down to your stomach and make you swallow 10 times.  UFSSSS...   ;-)

• Posted

I really hate this, again they moderate the posting even if I did not include a link or a name of anything.  So let me just make a quick reply that my heart was like that as well when this all started, but then when I was clear it wasn't heart related it came back to normal and it's actually better than normal.  I did learn Bio-feedback to control my medical anxiety which was the reason for the rapid heart and HBP.  My symptoms goes 80-90% away when I lay back to sleep so they all concur is position related and that is why they believe is my back.  Now, are you taking any medication for costochondritis?  Be carefull, antiflamatory medication is not good if you have reflux. I try to take food for this but is not the same . ;-(

• Posted

Yes I am, I was taking indomethasin and my stomach was really hurting from that so they switched me to something easier on my belly which I haven't started yet because I'm trying not to take them where I'm not really in pain it only hurts really to push on my ribs and chest. The breathing us what has me most concerned! So ur rapid heart rate and hbp was from anxiety? I've been wondering if I have a back or spine problem because my neck hurts often and my left arm goes tingly and I'll wake up to it pretty much dead like I can't move it for a min till I change positions so ice been thinking about getting adjusted to see if the help

• Posted

Some days I don't have the rapid heart but lately it's been pretty much everyday when I stand up but sitting I'm fine. I don't understand it and my doctor said she really doesn't think it's my heart and won't send me to a cardiologist just to be sure 😞 One thing I am looking into trying next is seeing a chiropractor, to see if that hopefully helps! My doctor thinks the rapid heart rate could be because my thyroid is off but I have had thyroid problems since I was born and have never experienced anything like this because of it and when I try to explain everything I'm feeling she just puts it into anxiety which I know is not the cause of all my symptoms! Super frustrating for me! I'm hoping it is all just acid reflux though!

• Posted

You do understand anxiety can create these pains so is something you can't disregard. But first, they have to eliminate any real condition. ;-)

Now, you said your "neck hurts often and your left arm goes tingly"   My Neurosurgeon said if I feel neck pains that goes down my arm and it goes tingly that is a problem originated by the neck. I did not have that problem but in your case I will check into that.  Sure, he also said that in 30 years he has never seen a patient that had chest pain and breathing problems from this. For me they did a cervical spine seated MRI.   Sure, this Monday I'm getting an upper back spine seated MRI which they also said it could be the reason for my problems and I personally believe this is the last thing they can check so is the end of the medical road for me. ;-(

• Posted

Yes of course I know it can manifest itself in so many different crazy ways! Which can make it pretty hard to know exactly what I'm feeling or if I'm even feeling this or is this just my mind making think I have these crazy things going but the rapid heart is what my main concern is! I'm going to see my doctor here in about an hour where I just want to start getting answers even if it is just to rule things out because I'm tired of the answer always just being anxiety with no real testing! I will definitely have to check into the spine/ back problems too! Good luck on ur Mri and would u mind letting me know how that goes? smile

• Posted

Btw, just like you it gets worse when I stand and walk.  It has been 2 years and it started easy by just feeling it when I stand, eat or walk.  Now is there all day long and it gets worse when I stand, walk or even talk to much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.