Is this Acid Reflux and what to do about it?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I've been taking Sertraline for about 18 months for general anxiety. I take 50mg, and the Dr told me to take it at bed time. Every few weeks, after I take it I start to feel nauseous and then end up being sick for about an hour, not proper sick but clear slimy liquid. It keeps rising in my throat and I have to spit it out, and then I get episodes of vomiting it too. Sorry for the detail sad It's really horrible and it makes my throat really sore and gives me a pain in my chest.

I asked the doctor about this ages ago, and she said to eat something before taking it. I think that helps, but I still get it sometimes. It happened on Saturday when I was already ill with a cold and I was so tired and I had to sit up in the cold bathroom for hours until it stopped. I was so fed up I decided to stop taking them. I've been thinking about it anyway, and I've missed one or two before so I didn't think much of it.

But then yesterday I started getting really bad withdrawal symptoms, like weird feelings in the front of my head and feeling really out of it. It got really bad and I read about other people's withdrawal on here and realised I should have cut down slowly. So I took one and I feel a bit better today. I won't stop suddenly like that again! Although it made me realise that coming off them isn't going to be that easy.

I'm so glad I found this forum, yesterday I didn't know what to do and it is so good to hear about what other people have gone through too. Thank you all!

Anyway, my question is does anyone else get the vomiting thing? Is it acid reflux? I don't really know what that is like. I do get heart burn sometimes. Why do you have to take them at bed time, I wonder if it would be better to take them with a meal.

Thank you.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety makes me retch/vomit, I've only been on sert for coming up to 2 weeks and was hoping it would stop it and help me eat again.....any thoughts anyone?
  • Posted

I get nauseau sometimes too, and yes they are better taken with food. I started off taking mine in the mornings, then had my dose upped to 100mg, so split it and take 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Side effects aren't as strong, and it doesn't matter so much if I miss a dose.

• Posted

Have they helped your anxiety camper?
  • Posted

Hello Tam,

I have had the opposite advice from doctors, to take sertraline in the morning at the same time as food because nausea is quite common. I did get nauseous at first but 3 months in I don't any more - perhaps you should try mornings?

I am on sertraline for the second time around so have been through the withdrawal symptoms too and can appreciate how you feel, it's quite hard and strange, all I would say is that to take a complete look at your life before coming off it to make sure you have good support and no upcoming stressful times - I unfortunately didn't do that regretted it.

I hope you're happy and healthy soon :-)

X

• Posted

On Sertraline for depression, and my anxiety has increased, with chest pains the lot. But it is manageable for me, it's just like having 1/2 dozen espresso coffees, jittery. Cutting out caffeine will help with anxiety, as it seems to react badly with Sertraline.

• Posted

I don't drink coffee or anything, I just want it to settle nerves in tummy so I can eat again. Does anyone know how long before I should see effects?
  • Posted

I felt better within 4 months x
  • Posted

no idea Celt34 - never had nausea till going on Sertraline

• Posted

Thanks I am definitely going to try taking it with food for a bit.

Celt34 it doesn't make me nauseous normally I'm fine in the day I just get these awful episodes straight after taking it sometimes. I'm sure it is related to when and what I last ate. And it really helped with my anxiety, quite quickly.

I'm going to see the doctor about how to come off it. I was really scared at how bad the withdrawal was, as it doesn't sound like 50mg is a high dose, it makes me feel worse about being dependent on it now.

• Posted

How long is quick? I'd rather be on them than have the anxiety if they help :-)
  • Posted

If it works for you, with no real side effects and you are better than without it, then there's nothing wrong with being on it. I may be on it permanently - and if that is to my benefit, then fine. Think of drugs for diabetes, heart problems, any number of things - people are 'dependant' on them, medically, because the body will not function correctly/survive without them. It is perfectly logical that the brain may need chemical support permanently in some cases if it is not functioning correctly for hormone or chemical reasons.

50 is not a high dose

• Posted

I agree with you camper girl, my doctor explains it that you become depressed because the chemicals that you need in the brain become depleted and you need antidepressants to top up those levels.

I think of it as being the same as a diabetic topping up their insulin. No one would dream of coming off insulinwould they?

• Posted

Campergirl that's what my Mum says. And what I used to say to her when she felt bad about what she was taking. I should take my own advice. I guess there's a chemical imbalance in my family. It's just the retching horrible stuff in a cold bathroom for hours when I want to be in bed makes me feel really shit and wonder what the hell I am doing it for. But I'm going to try taking them at tea time and see if that works. Worried about taking them in the morning in case they make me sleepy? When I first started taking them I started sleeping so soundly I thought maybe they make you drowsy.

Celt34 I felt better after about a week when I first started taking them. I thought it was really quick and that it was just a placebo effect because I had finally made myself see the doctor and do something about it (I was a wreck leading up to that, crying all the time couldn't talk to anyone, shaky legs really panicky). But the doctor said it can work quicker for anxiety than depression. I guess it affects different people differently. I hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

No tam77, they aren't like sleeping tablets, and they don't make me drowsy after taking them (just permanently tired, lol). GP said 60% of people take them in the morning, 40% prefer evening - it's whatever suits you best. You could also try biting tablet in half, and taking half in the morning and half at night - with food each time.

• Posted

Hi tam77,

I'm on 50mg (have been for 6 weeks now) I get really bad indigestion and unfortunately find that eating dairy products even just a small amount makes feel sick on the tablet, but it's different for everyone. Sertraline makes me feel nauseous a lot but the positive effect more than outway the bad.

Campergirl

Thats a really good way of looking at taking meds, as its so easy for people with anxiety and depression (like myself) to feel incomplete, when really the meds are just helping to rebalance things.

Mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.