is this AFIB? someone please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. A little about myself -->

- 20 yr old male

- never drank or smoked

- no family history of heart disease

- diagnosed with anxiety

Since I was about 14, I have felt a feeling where it feels like my heart is fluttering/spazzing out at times. usually the fluttering only lasts about 1-2 seconds. A couple days ago, however, I had a flutter that lasted about 7-10 seconds and I got really dizzy. I went to the ER and got there within 10 minutes of it occurring and they did a bunch of tests, chest x-rays, an ECG and it all came back as fine. I have also been to 3 cardiologist and had an echo done last November and they all say I'm fine. Can anxiety really cause a chest flutter to last 7-10 seconds?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I,m a lot older than you but they can last that long, I feel as if I,m going to faint when it happens.  I,ve had this for 43 years, awaiting an appointment for an ablation for Svt.   I have never smoked or drink alcohol, maybe a couple when I was young but never excessive.  I also have  anxiety.  They don,t catch the episode with an ecg you need a monitor to wear for a few days.  They say these beats are harmless but they definitely affect your life.
  • Posted

If it's palpitations my Doctor says they are not harmful. but when you have them all night they sure are a p

If they are palpitations they are not harmful. If it's AFib it can be harmful especially if it lasts a long time. That can cause clots to form in the left atrium and that can cause a stroke. Definitely wear a monitor for a few days and see if they can find out what it is. Good Luck.  I have both Palpitations and A Fib. Electrophysiologist is recommending Ablation. Hope you get the answers.

• Posted

Hi,

I had a 30-day event monitor but they said that they could not find anything during that time. I’m just scared they missed something

• Posted

Have they tried a really low dose beta blocker ? Will stop the anxiety and the effect of it on your heart . Trouble is as with all drugs can cause other things
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes I’ve been taking propranolol here and there. When I do take it, I do not get nearly as much symptoms. Do you think it is a heart issue, or should I accept it to be anxiety? 

• Posted

Well I had same dilemma, I had a few ectopic beats but the suddenly got worse when I was feeling really anxious because knee surgery taking longer than I thought to get over plus taking strong pain meds . Cardiologist gave me monitor  to wear for24 hours and it picked up I was getting 9000 , the cut  off point being 5000 before they se it as a problem, as he said which comes first the anxiety causing them or them causing anxiety. I was put on 2.5 bisopropanol but too high my blood pressure and pulse too low so I have self medicated it to a half and then a quarter , still seems to stop feelings of anxiety but tired , think you should not worry if one for a month showed no problem . The blockers obviously help your anxiety and the signal to realease more Adrenalin so you feel calmer , But I wouldn’t take them unless you have too , or at least try vey low dose , or try alternative anxiety treatment even yoga . Have you looked up York Cardiology? They have a lot of videos on heart arrhythmia and stress etc well worth a look , he’s very clear and may put your mind at rest . It certainly helped me because I was getting quite panicky . Google them or look up on YouTube 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.