Is this amount of swelling normal after surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had hemrroidectomy surgery 5 days ago. The first day was alright obviously due to all the meds. However since waking up the following day, I have severe swelling all around my anus and I fear it is hemorrhoids that we’re not properly taken care of during surgery. The swelling looks and feels a lot like the hemorrhoids did however they do not slide back in after a nights rest as they would in the past. The swelling/ constant “hemorrhoid protruding” has been constant and has me in serious pain. Is this normal? I’m so scared all of this is going to be for nothing. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This sort of pain is quite normal after a hemorrhoidectomy. The pain often seems to get worse before it gets better and the pain is often worse around 5-6 days post op. You should have been warned about it and told to take Ibuprofen  to help with the pain. It is essential to keep your motions soft and you could use a stool softener like Lactulose. You must not strain when passing a motion. A lubricating ointment is often helpful as well.

Its usually not a quick healing process after this procedure ,so be prepared for discomfort to last 2-3 months although it should gradually ease off with pain killers and stool softeners. If you are in UK your GP may be able to prescribe a stronger painkiller and recommend a stool softener.

Also no heavy lifting  for 3 months.

• Posted

Thanks Marina! I guess I had a poor surgeon.. he did not set my expectations at all and gave me no advice for post op comfort. Everything I have been doing is from people from this site. Everyone keeps saying not to strain or push with a motion but that was impossible last night (1st really one since op), my body was literally making me push and I was screaming like a women giving birth! 
  • Posted

Yes,the pain of that first motion can be excruciating. I'm amazed you werent given any instructions about what to expect and looking after yourself. Was this in UK? NHS?

• Posted

I know, I can’t believe what a horrible surgeon I had. After speaking with a friend who knows others at the hospital I have the operation, I’ve heard my surgeon has a horrible reputation and is very lazy!! I’m in the US. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.