Is this angina?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there I've been suffering from shortness of breath on exertion and a burning centrally across my chest which radiates horizontally . It ceases after rest. Cardiac perfusion test was normal symptoms have worsened slightly recently and cardiology have referred me for  an angiogram.

does anyone else have similar symptoms? Have read that angina is different in women am 62 but otherwise fit, and it is. Listed  as any discomfort from base of neck to navel brought on by exertion and relieved by rest. I guess in this definition I fit the symptoms. 

Am really worried about an angiogram any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi 🙋 there,I've had 3 angiograms and can assure you there is nothing to worry about,also had an angioplasty and again nothing to worry about.you will be fine 😊.

• Posted

Thank you that's good to know - better than some of the horror stories around!

• Posted

im same age as you fit etc the only symptom I had was jaw pain for about twenty mins, family history is not good, had many tests and angiogram found one artery blocked 90% stent fitted, currently doing Cardiac rehab. and taking pills!! never did before

• Posted

Thanks for replying good luck with recovery. I'm coming around to the thinking i really need to have the angiogram don't have a date yet. Nice to have support of others in a similar situation.

• Posted

Hi Vivienne, 

l have angina along with a great list of other heart problems , but its the angina thats getting to me.

l had an echo recently and it showed up a problem so was sent for a angiogram , it honestly is nothing to worry about , the staff are great, its a simple test, mine was put through my arm not groin ( mmmm, didnt want that thanks) 

lm so pleased l did have the test as it showed up quiet a few more problems like: narrowing of my aorta being one.

lve also been diagnosed with Congenital heart Disease with tons of silly bits not quiet right . 

I dont get burning chest pain at all my syptons include:

centre chest pain.

Feeling like l have a pick axe in the centre of my back.

Pain running up the left side of my neck , across my shoulder and down my left arm

( its a sort of heavy pain that aches / hurts and wont go away) 

I also get cold sweats , go grey and feel so tired it doesnt matter if lm in or out 'l have to sit down'.......my main problem is that when l have a very bad attack l cannot get breath and l have asked my husband to hit me and knock me out as the pain is do bad and my heart rate drops into the 20s......

So you hang on in there, listen to your consultant and do as he advices, good luck  

Great life isnt it  .... just a shame about the body🙄

• Posted

I have the same and have come to the conclusion it is possibly Microvascular as not showing up on the not current testing equipment . Classic heart failure symptoms too were targeted yet ignored  before & after my cardiac arrest  12 years ago when had an angioplasty to revive.PAH  only showed up on my implanted Reveal device only revealing that .The worst thing is I can't access the therapies such as oxygen because so they say costing too much money ??!!Apparently there are funds you should be able to access but I suspect not when Continuing Care could be involved ?However I am well controlled on all the medication check you are on that ASAP  as when I had the cardiac they said I was lucky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.