Is this Angina?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok, some background. I'm 55, overweight, and have had acid reflux on and off for 20 years. I have a small sliding hiatus hernia, and life for the last year has been one problem after another usually resulting in high stress levels, (I'm on Ramipril for high blood presure).

I also had two vacant episodes last September and lost my driving license for 6 months, so I started walking everywhere. I promptly put on nearly a stone even though I was walking!

Over the last 4 months I have developed pains in my calves when sleeping and when sitting down and am waiting for a blood presure test on my ankles.

Last week, my acid reflux becaome much worse and I developed upper back pain as well as a burning stomach and esophagus. Went to see gp who says it is probably gerd getting worse.

I'm also getting pressure in the left side of my chest which lasts anywhere from a few seconds to 15 minutes. Today I have had pain in my left arm and also a brief pain in my chest which felt like an electrical shock.

has anyone else had this? I'm trying to work out whether this is stress, acid reflux or angina. any advice appreciated,

James

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,

After a few months (and a much needed holiday), I went back to the Doctor's with lightheadedness and a headache. I found that my blood pressure was 160 / 100, so my Ramipril has been doubled to 5mg per day.

I forgot to say last time that my acid reflux tablets were changed to Pantaprazole. Anyway, I decided they were not working and stopped taking them, and voila, within 3 days, the calf pain has completely gone.

Now the bad news. My Wife has had an MS Relapse over the last week, resulting in me travelling back and forth to hospital in Sheffield for 4 days to take her for treatment. I'm feeling exhausted at the moment due to late nights and very stressed (because I may have a speeding ticket as well!).

This morning while cleaning up, I suddenly felt very hot and had what I can only describe as pressure on the left side of my chest going through to my back and after a couple of minutes belching. The pressure went after about 2 minutes, but I feel shattered. I know I should go to the doctor's but my wife cannot be left on her own at the moment because of poor balance. Any advice?

• Posted

Hi  jamesk,

?I understand that you can't leave your wife due to her illness but you must look after your health as well, this hot feeling could be your blood pressure rising, some agree and some don't but this hot feeling or being red in the face can be tell tale signs of high blood pressure. As for the belching I'd suggest over the counter indigestion / heart burn medication until you can get to see your doctor to see what's going on with you. It could be several things but angina and heart attacks need to be ruled  out first.

• Posted

Hi Samuels, I’ve got my Daughter at home now, so GP here we come again. I did check my blood presseureand while it is still raised (139 / 83), I’m wondering if the symptoms are related to the increase in Ramipril.

I feel constantly tired at the moment with muscle aches & pains and my dry cough is getting worse.

• Posted

Hi jamesk,

?I don't know anything about the medication to comment on that, 139/83 is a bit high but not bad, I run on 140/80 and when I get the coronary artery spasms at times my blood pressure is sitting anywhere from 160/85 +

?This is interesting, you mentioned a dry cough and muscle aches and pains, they wouldn't happen to be in either of your calf muscles, knees or hips ? Legs are swollen ? this is why I mentioned pulmonary embolism, but as you say could it be due to the medication ( A side effect ) or the increase of it.

Hope your GP has some answers for you and can sort you out pretty quick smart smile

• Posted

Hi again jamesk,

?I got a bit mixed up there, I mis takingly  took you from someone else in regards to pulmonary embolism,from another angina discussion, their symptoms weren't quite the same but your symptoms are very close to pulmonary embolism, Well one would think a doctor may have that thought in the back of his mind during examination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.