Is this anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello to all of you

I have been having really bad shakes/jitters in my legs. They seem to worse in the mornings. I can be sitting or standing (but worse when I am sitting) and my legs jump and jerk. So annoying. Just wondered if anyone has had this. I want to keep telling my self it is just increased anxiety but you know the mind.......

Appreciate your thoughts

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lolasmom,

I get jitters alot, sometimes my legs with spasm for no particular reason and it kinda freaks me out! I used to think it was something far more serious but i think its quite common with anxiety

I've found mindfulness to really help, to actively check in with your body and do a body scan. Tightening the muscles and then relaxing them and knowing they are there.

I used to get pretty bad mornng anxiety, including my hands shaking and trembling. I think its directly related with the nervous system and your bodys response to fight or flight. I'd recommend some yoga, mindfulness and meditation if you haven't tried any already. I've found them really useful in helping with this.

Hope some of that helped and hope you have a great day smile

• Posted

Hello Lonelystreet84, Thank you so much for your reply. I too have morning anxiety where the moment I wake up even before my eyes are open it all starts.  What's with that????

I have had many many months of stomach disorders and after having endosope and abdominal ultra sound nothing really major showed up. Probiotics have helped. Then it was the palpitations.....

and the leg jerking.......and all the other crazy symptoms that are to numerous to list.  In February I started having rapid heartrate that was confirmed on ecg that I have SVT. So, I am now having an ablation May 31/16 as the side affects with beta blockers is terrible. So I guess I have alot on my plate right now. The anxious crazy stuff going on did start before the SVT but it certainly got worse. 

I appreciate your lovely reply. Nice to see there are caring prople out there.  By the way I am in Canada.

Many thanks

• Posted

Just to ease your mind a bit... I went through a very stressful time a few months ago and is ongoing, after my grandpa suddenly died. I am shaky when using any muscle. Not really bad, almost like jitters constantly. I have posted on here a lot that I was convinced I had ALS, MS or Parkinson's. Something neurological for SURE. After seeing two different neurologists and a TON of expensive tests, I was ruled to have a mild, benign essential tremor due to prolonged stress. Think about it this way, when normal people are scared, their fight or flight kicks in, causing a ton of symptoms including shakes/tremors. When they are not scared anymore, this goes away. For people like us, we are constantly scared, and hats what the neurologist told me. If you are really scared, talk to your Dr about it. But you are not alone, and mine tuned out to be just fine. Lasting, but fine.
    • Posted

Hi there ashless81611, Thank you so much for your reply. Mine is a series of jerks that consume both of my legs. As I have had many other symptoms this one drives me crazy. It seems that when one seems to be getting better, another one starts. We do know this is all anxiety but just hearing from someone else with the same thing goes a long  way. Thank you so much
    • Posted

I won't say it's nothing, because us Health Anxiety nuts believe NO ONE!!! Haha, I get it though. Trust me!
  • Posted

I have the same issue and I have no clue about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.