Is this anxiety & depression or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 21 year old male university student and have been having symptoms for the past year that I've been able to control quite well. My anxiety started with a health anxiety and kind of ignited everything else to become much worse.

My symptoms that I've had are below:

Hot flashes

Nausea

Belching a lot

Weak, tingling legs

Constipation

Gas

Bloating

Lightheadedness

Lack concentration

Loss sex drive

Nausea in morning

Insomnia/restlessness

Nausea and belching seem to happen after drinking coffee or in social situations mainly like a movie theatre, classes, etc. I get a lump in throat and waves of nausea in certain places and at random times for no reason, however, they only last for 20-30 minutes till everything is resolved. 

Lately Ihave been stressed out about a girl and life in general. More so, about the future, hopelessness, and generally stress myself out about money and expectations too. I also have had a lack in hobbies and interest and almost do nothing nor have any motive to do anything i used to love on days off. 

Just recently, I have started to have digestive problems too, such as constipation, diarrhea, etc. Someone had told me this is certainly a side effect of anxiety as it can screw up your whole GI tract and the worry, fear, anxiety, etc can change your whole system.

If anyone believes this sounds like anxiety, depression, or maybe both, anything would help me soothe a bit knowing it's just these things.

Thank you! 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

All classic anx and depression I'm afraid. The best first steps are to speak to your doc about some good anx treatment. This needn't be medication, therapy is just as or more effective
  • Posted

Hi ,

it could be coffee is making UR stomach too acid. Acid reflux sound like some of UR symptoms. Try Zantac for stomac indigestion due to acid coming up the esophagus causing bloating burping & nausea.

im not a doc UR college health program would be able to address UR symptoms with proper meds. 

Anxiety can be included in many of UR symptoms.. 

PLZPLZ see UR doc.. Once u get the whole issue under control ull be glad u did and will wonder why u did't do it sooner.. 

• Posted

Remember meds do not resolve anxiety, they just help lessen the physical effect - and don't always work. Therapy is the only way to resolve issues
    • Posted

my anxiety seemed to be under control but i took one pill of a new supplement='femaleplus' i was trying to help me with hot flashes and menopausal hormonal imbalances that i think i have; but i have been on cymbalta for depression and anxiety for a while and it helps plus getting enough sleep; but that ONE pill seemed to trigger a bad anxiety attack last night- i noticed it had dhea and chaste berry in it...then i read some of the ingredients 'speed' up metabolism; didn't like the feeling at all; made me sick stomach wise also; i need to be calmed down; not overexcited or it is no good for me; but i wonder when i move out from my father's house who i have been helping -he has dementia-when i move away from the constant stress of worrying about his deteriorating health and my sister who gives out negative vibes all the time to me-if i will get worse or better
  • Posted

Hello, 

I'm also 21, and I'll be off to uni (hopefully) this September, so I can understand how anxious/stressed you must be feeling! 

Yes, this does sound like anxiety- I have had all of these symptoms. 

I agree with 4hope4cure; coffee could be worsening your belching/gastrointestinal symptoms. Alcohol (as well as lots of foods and drinks) can cause this too, so maybe this can be helped slightly by a diet change. 

Have you spoken to your GP at all about your anxiety and the effect it's having on your life? They can offer lots of advice on different treatments. 

I have started off with CBT (there are lots of other therapies that are very effective for some people, and involve more than just talking about your feelings to a therapist- they change your way of thinking and get to the root of the cause). I'll also be starting hypnotherapy on Monday which sounds a bit wishy washy, but it's supposed to be good- I have been rather agoraphobic lately, so I'll give it a go! 

Medication helps some people, but it covers up the symptoms, rather than curing/treating the anxiety in the same way as therapy does. Also, most anxiety medications make you feel much worse for a couple of weeks, before you start to feel better. But obviously, that's something to speak to your GP about! 

I hope you start to feel better soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.