Is this anxiety or asthma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!

My name is David and I am 26 years old.  My anxiety started in the middle of October last year and have experienced many symptoms of anxiety but I feel much better now. No more panic attacks (since November) but I do have minor dp/dr time to time.

Long story short, I been living in Japan for the last 3 years and I am finally going back home to New Zealand. I decided to travel around in Asia before I go back home so I went to Korea last week.

Here is where it all begins - On my fourth day in Korea, I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air (this never happened before) It felt like I'm being suffocated. My breaths were extremely short and I was unable to get enough oxygen.

Ever since then I feel uncomfortable everyday 24/7. I constantly have super dry mouth, difficulty breathing and swallowing and dry coughs (especially at night).

I know it's not a panic attack. I wasn't hyperventilating and my heart wasn't racing. I never had any breathing problems whatsoever. I have a strong feeling it's asthmaor something. I just can't breath properly. It's worse than anxiety.

I went to see a doctor and I also told him that I have anxiety and depression and as soon as I said that he just prescribed me Xanax sad No check up was done. I was mad and speechless. I don't take meds. My anxiety isn't that bad. I just take natural supplements like st john wort and vitamin tablets.

I want to get a different doctor but how can they be sure it's anxiety and not something fatal like asthma attack. What do I do from here? I feel like I am going to pass out sad

Hi everyone!

My name is David and I am 26 years old.  My anxiety started in the middle of October last year and have experienced many symptoms of anxiety but I feel much better now. No more panic attacks (since November) but I do have minor dp/dr time to time.

Long story short, I been living in Japan for the last 3 years and I am finally going back home to New Zealand. I decided to travel around in Asia before I go back home so I went to Korea last week.

Here is where it all begins - On my fourth day in Korea, I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air (this never happened before) It felt like I'm being suffocated. My breaths were extremely short and I was unable to get enough oxygen.

Ever since then I feel uncomfortable everyday 24/7. I constantly have super dry mouth, difficulty breathing and swallowing and dry coughs (especially at night).

I know it's not a panic attack. I wasn't hyperventilating and my heart wasn't racing. I never had any breathing problems whatsoever. I have a strong feeling it's asthma or something. I just can't breath properly. It's worse than anxiety.

I went to see a doctor and I also told him that I have anxiety and depression and as soon as I said that he just prescribed me Xanax sad No check up was done. I was mad and speechless. I don't take meds. My anxiety isn't that bad. I just take natural supplements like st john wort and vitamin tablets.

I want to get a different doctor but how can they be sure it's anxiety and not something fatal like asthma attack. What do I do from here? I feel like I am going to pass out sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone I'm also having the same symptoms. I'm a 25 year old male never had breathing problems. And all of a sudden after 1 month and 2 weeks ago I had a panic attack and sense then I've been experiencing shallow breathing shortness of breath. A feeling that I can't catch my breath. Its horrible it makes me hyperventilate. My doctors think its general anxiety disorder. I've been checked up on my lungs and they said I can breath clearly no problems.

Now I feel like I'm running out of answers..

They have me on Propranolol 20mg Celexa 40mg

Mirtizapine 20mg buspirone 7mg. I'm losing my mind here. Doctors have done so many tests on me they say I'm healthy. The only thing bugging me is shortness of breath.

• Posted

Your not alone. I'm 26 and do the same I have really bad anxiety/panic attacks I suffer from derealization from time to time and my breathing almost always feels off. I just remember my breathing tricks breath in through my nose and out of my mouth slowly. Maybe try to find a new doctor to talk to maybe it will make you feel better. I am on vaulim as needed for anxiety and it helps so much maybe when your feeling like that try your meds out. Hope you get feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.