Is this anxiety or Hernia? Please help me :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im 17 yrs old male. Ive been feeling this sharp chest pain in the right side of my chest since when im 16. On and off. And last month i felt nothing so im convinced it's gone. But this past few days it cameback and its worsen. I can now feel shortness of breath and i always belch. The sharp pain is back too it worsen when i try to sit down or lay down or even move. But my biggest problem is the shortness of breath. I fear this. I cant talk for so long gasping for air. I cant deep breath. When i do i cough. And i cant do this. I have school. Doing light tasks like going upstair or even walking makes me gasp air and rest. I had this for 3 days now hoping it will just go away. When I wake up this morning i thought its gone cause theres no chest pain and i can now breathe freely but when i stood up i started to feel the chest pain and the shortness of breathe again. I have school tom. Please i know its not normal. Is it anxiety or i have more serious health problem? Im not taking any meds too cause i dont know which one ill take. Help me. I think im depressed now with my condition sad i cant live like this. It will ruin my happy life for sure.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello. feels like a hiatal hernia causing silent reflux. thats what is causing the chest pain and shortness of breath. ive had that those for 5 years now. labdoprazole 30 mg helps me a lot. try gaviscon after each meal or before you sleep. see a gastro doctor who might recomnend an upper endoscopy. could be gastritis too. try to relax buddy.
  • Posted

Do see your doctor. All chest pains need to be investigated.

It's most probably reflux permitted by a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter due to the presence of a hiatus hernia restricting the correct closure of the muscles.

That reflux can continue up the full column of the oesophagus and breach the upper oesophageal sphincter whence t may aspirate into the respiratory system.

Your doctor can prescribe acid suppressant medication (eg omeprazole) which will make the reflux less damaging but isn't so good at reducing the reflux itself which you have to manage by lifestye modification:

Lose weight if necessary. Avoid tight clothes. Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often, chewing well and slowly while keeping your body upright. Allow the stomach to empty before undertaking any exercise that will compress, shake or tilt it.

Anxiety will make things worse so discuss it with your doctor to reassure you.

• Posted

hi ford25, i really do understand how you feel because i use to feel like this. I am 16-years and i can tell i use to say to myself,"i can't live with this health problem, when will i get my old live back." By saying this to myself i caused stress and anxitey to myself, making me feel down, strees and anxiety etc can really affect any health problem you face. I suggest you try to see a GI or GP, ask them to do a something called a "tube test." A tube test is where a somebody would put a camera/tube down your mouth or nose, and they'd look for excessive acid, Uclers, celaic and etc. Anyways best of luck to you and don't this problem on because i beleiev you will overcome it, stephon. 

• Posted

Thanks! I'll do that. But I have 1 question, Do you feel shortness of breath too? Cause It's what im afraid of. I cant do light tasks without gasping for air. Like im gonna lose my oxygen. I miss my old life where I can run long distances withouth fatigue. But now just having a walk or going upstairs make me want oxygen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.