Is this Asthma? - thanks for reading

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good day!

Well, I will start to where I highly abuse mysfelf from having lots of sleepless night when I was in college. That was for 1 and half years (the duration) of having 2 to 3 hours of sleep only a day. My heart then was beating so fast and I do have a pale skin giving me fairer (compare to having brown) complexion.

After that 1 and a half year, I quit college and quit my habit as well. That time I felt easily get tired. I can ran for 3 to 5 mins and can make me feel dying in catching my breathe. I dont want fan to be directly hit me as I feel cold, I do have a back pain, occasionally. I manage to sleep from 7 to 9 hours a day, I am active too to sports but still I easily get tired 

After 10 years of feeling easily get tired of doing light works mostly that requires phsyical work like lifting, walking, house cleaning, etc. I got this cough. I thought its just a normal fever and flu with cough but without phlegm. I spit mucus/sputum (white sliva-ish thing) just to clear my lungs and the cough persist for 2 days. 3rd day I can't sleep at night and visited a doctor to ask what my condition was. They gave me different tests like, ECG, Breathe Test and X ray and they find tests are all normal. He gave me antibiotic and some muscle pain reliever due to tightness of my chest. but none of them work.

Due to having sleepless night I decided to buy a nebulizer same as what my younger brother have and bought ventolin nebules as well. This helps me for almost 1 year from now. I support this with my vitamin C 500mg a day and this somehow lessen the attacks. 

when I was 5 years old I have an asthma and went gone when I was 8 or 9. I am thinking that it get back.

Is this really an asthma? or my lungs just got weakened because of that sleepless night for 1 and half year, having only 2 to 3 hours of sleep a day?

I don't do smoke, alcohol drinking and drugs. I prefer sweets and I really like drinking coffees.

Thanks for reading, this inquiry's tha you might find quite long.

Regards,

Patrick

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Asthma will be symptomatic, and will show with tests such as a spirometry, listening to your chest... Inhalers and other asthma meds are designed to combat and control symptoms for asthma anyway. Not to worry too much if your condition is self-inflicted or not, there are many adults out there that develop asthma and have no definite answer as to why nor how. The main objective in life now is that you find a way to control the symptoms. Aside from that, asthmatic airways are inflamed, so I am not sure how that would fit into the whole "weakened lung" theory.

If it helps a bit, I read somewhere that asthma can be genetic. How likely? It didn't say, but be glad we don't live in the 1800's where medicine was quite different.

Warm regards

• Posted

As everyone will tell you, you need to visit a doctor to get properly diagnosed and treaed. That said, for free non-doctor advice on the internet... You are not super specific on the symptom, frequency and triggers for your breathing problem.  I don't think tiredness or sleep has much to do with causing asthma, except stress and generic poor health aggravate it.  Normally I would say maybe/maybe-not but for two things: You had asthma in childhood, yes it can and does come back.  Any family with asthma? Secondly you have been taking albuterol (ventolin) and it seems to help.  That is the prime asthma medication.  Vitamin C  nothing to do with it.

?Educate yourself online and fess up to your doctor you've been taking ventolin & your childhood history.  Once you get properly diagnosed you will get it managed, you should not need ventolin regularly if properly managed. Never smoke, loose weight, exercise, sleep well.  These things all help for sure, but don't guarantee non-recurrence as I just found out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.