Is this b12 deficiency?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

For many years (5+) I've been getting tingling in my hands and feet with weird humming sensations around my body. My feet and hands often feel like they're burning. My arms sometimes feel heavy and weak and I get "growing" type pains in my legs often. I've always felt tired and never refreshed when I wake. I've been checked out for Ms as my symptoms are very similar and mris have always come back clear.

I've started taking a vitamin b complex supplement to help with anxiety (due to worrying I have ms) and I think my symptoms have improved slightly. I don't feel as much tingling or the humming sensations and I generally feel more normal.

My question is could the b vitamins have been the reason for the improvement and I'm actually b12 deficient? I've had bloods done many times and I'm pretty sure b12 was included. No gp has ever mentioned it's not within normal ranges but I've been reading that you can still be deficient even within normal?

I will mention it to my gp but I want to go armed with evidence that the vit b supplements have improved my symptoms so I need to know if it's possible!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi lillysmummy. it's highly unlikely u've had ur b12 serum blood levels done when the cbc/full blood work up was completed. it's something that ud have to request or have overt signs/symptoms of b12 deficiency.

Caitlin

• Posted

Have you been taking the vitamin B complex before a bloodtest was done? Normally you'd need to stop doing so for several weeks before a blood test as it falsifies blood results. At least if your doctor only checks for serum B12. Serum B12 might thus be normal if you take supplements. Serum B12 might also be lowish normal if you have absorption issues as the B12 is circulating around your blood but doesn't get where your body really needs it. For that you need special tests. Hey, my serum B12 was around 350pg/ml or 258pmol/l. It's low, but still within lab ranges here. Still I benefitted so much from injections, while normal tablets didn't do anything as I suppose too little was actually absorbed.
    • Posted

No I only started taking the b supplements 2 weeks ago. I had bloods done months ago, but it was just the usual standard bloods.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies

Ah ok so maybe that's why it's not been picked up before. What should I be asking to be tested?

Does it also cause bruising? I get loads of bruises on my legs even though I can't think of when I've bumped them.

• Posted

easy bruising tend to be caused by insufficient platelets in the blood - i.e. the stuff that coagulates the blood cells & controls bleeding. low b12 can cause megaloblastic anemia. often iron deficiency anemia can run concurrently with b12 def. these 2 together, if severe enough, could cause easy bruising. however platlet levels would need to be evaluated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.