Is this balanitis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this problem on and off for weeks now. Doctor has prescribed me levofloxacin now and anti fungal cream. I already been using the cream for 2 weeks with some relief but when I stop it seems to return.

I also took a dose of fluconozale which didn't seem to have much effect. It is accompanied by some minor pain occasionally but nothing too bad, just enough to remind me the problem is still there.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Having suffered on and off from balanitis over the years i'd say yes it is. The condition can be managed by washing the glans daily with water (no soap or shower gel) and letting it dry before rolling your foreskin back in place. I also find retracting when having a pee seems to stop any stray urine getting under there and aggravating the glans.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, i have been doing this a lot already . there was a period about 6 weeks ago where I was moisturizing twice a day with a hypoallergenic moisturizer called "Physio Gel". Do you think this may have caused it?

• Posted

Is it normal that during the day it doesn't bother me much but when I lie down in bed i find the most discomfort?

Also I first got the balanitis symptoms after a long course of antibiotics, which would point towards a yeast infection, but have now been prescribed more antibiotics? Won't this just exacerbate the problem? i know we should trust the dr etc it just seems strange.

• Posted

Also if there are any medical people reading this, as i have been prone to thrush should i take fluconazale at the end of the treatment of antibiotics or just use the cream as prescribed by the Dr. My last dose of fluconazale was about 2 weeks ago? I'm just concerned the antibiotics may treat the balanitis if it's infection related and then be left with another dose of thrush! Any help would really be appreciated, it's doing my head in this whole thing!

• Posted

antibiotics are known for causing thrush u should take fluconazole as a preventative after and apply clotrimazole cream also

• Posted

ok great thanks for the response, will pick some up today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.