Is this bleeding normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have posted elsewhere about my partners recent TRUS biopsy which he found uncomfortable but not really painful. He has had blood in urine since the procedure, also in stools. He expected this and wasn't worried. However, the bleeding in the urine became so dark in colour and profuse that we ended up taking him to A&E a couple of nights ago. They kept him overnight, without any treatment, and have said it's probably due to a nicked blood vessel in the prostate.

He is still losing quite a lot and it just doesn't seem to concern any of the doctors. Has this happened to any of you and how long did the bleeding last? I can't find much information online about this, mostly concerns rectal bleeding which he doesn't have. The biopsy was 10 days ago. Shouldn't they be flushing out the blood from wherever it is pooling, they mentioned it in hospital but didn't go ahead as prostate is already traumatised. I even thought they would suggest sealing it with heat but nothing is being done.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IS HE TAKING ANY MEDICATION FOR PAINFUL URINATION?

After a ridgid cystoscopy procedure I was taking pyridium for irritated urethra and it turnd my urine dark orange/red. thought it was from blood but it was a dye in th emeds that did it.

• Posted

Caz,  know you are concerned and looking for answers; but I don't think you will find them here.  True, someone may have had similar type symptoms and be able to provide some news of their experience.  But, when it comes to internal bleeding I think a professional doctor is your best bet.  There are some websites that let you ask questions of an MD for a fee; I've seen them but can't recall where.  Bet you can Google them fairly easily.  If the doctors you have aren't satisfying your needs, ask your GP for a new referral.  Also, you might post here,where you live and someone might refer an MD to you in your area.  Best!

• Posted

I know there's alot of blood vessels in the prostate. They even had blood ready to go when they did my surgery just in case it got bad. Blood bank even charges to have it ready even tho it wasn't used. Seen the charge on my bill and I asked about it. When I asked the blood vessel story is what I was told. The bleeding from biopsy is different though. The surgery cauterizes as it removes material. Have no idea about the biopsys. I would be blowing up my docs phone til I got a answer that made me feel better.

• Posted

I agree, call them and put them on the spot. I would be a bit concerned if it was me, so call and don't let up until you get some answers.

• Posted

Thank you, he has his follow up appointment to get his results on 27th of this month. If the bleeding doesn't begin to ease up in a day or two he will go back to hospital. I realise that everyone has different experiences. When numerous doctors are telling you something is normal and not entirely unusual you tend to believe them as you have nothing to compare your experience to. That's why I asked the question on here. I have many posts on this forum and have always had lots of good, sound advice. I just wish he had never had that blasted biopsy, his MRI was clear but that's another long story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.