Is this caused by Zoloft? Or is it something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

My issue started when I began taking steraline (zoloft) for my anxiety but I'm not sure if my issues are related to that since I started having stomach pains (kind of like period pain without being on my period) before taking them as a single symptom. But a couple of days into taking steraline the first unusual thing that happened was I started having muscle spasms down below which I was worried about since this seemed quite strange to me and couldn't find much results through googling. The next thing that happened was needing to urinate constantly which I eventually found out was a side effect of steraline. Since I was only on them for 4 days I decided to stop taking them rather than coming off them gradually. But this issue hasn't gone away and I started getting constipation issues not long after that involved frequent bowel movements but hard to pass. My symptoms calmed gradually and came back including the constipation, the frequent urination and the muscle spasms. I went to the doctors and was given the all clear for a water test and given laxatives which have helped a little with the constipation but I still have the frequent urge to urinate and the muscle spasms and I'm in constant discomfort. Since I have anxiety I'm very worried about this and google has come up with some scary things. I also have a tender lower stomach. I'm not sure if this is to do with steraline since I wasn't on them for long or if it's own problem. Does anybody have any theories or even have a similar experience?  

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not sure if your problems are from zoloft. I can only tell u what symptoms i had. To begin with im on my 5th month and just increased my dosage. I had weakness, dizziness, upset stomach, super high anxieties, shakes and I'm sure ive missed something but it was pure hell. Today I'm having alittle bit of anxiety because of increase. As to having to go to the bathroom all the time, its a normal thing for me because i have interstitial cystitis so i can't comment on that. Im sure there are others on this forum to help you more. Stand strong and you will be helped.

• Posted

I've taken Sertraline on and off for 3 years with no real problems. Everyone is different of course smile It sounds like you could be suffering from IBS caused by your Anxiety. IBS is NOT a serious condition (i've had it for 8 years) but it can be worrying if you are not sure about the symptoms smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I did consider IBS could be the issue but kept concentrating on the scarier possible causes. So that eases my mind a bit smile 
    • Posted

Anxiety is one of the main causes of IBS. Try Buscopan for the cramp/spasms, they are effective smile

• Posted

I highly recommend a natural supplement called GABA. I hope this helps you smile
  • Posted

Hi i know how you feel i have been put on this too 6 weeks ago first 50mg for 3 weeks then my doctor up it to 100mg after 3 days i could not lift my head and kept vomiting could not keep any food down, so without telling anyone i cut them in half so i was only taking 50mg again, but i still do not feel right, my stomach is tender just like yours, but the only thing is with you i am sure you were not on them long enough to do make you feel like that but i could be wrong, everyone reacts differently, one thing is you should talk to someone you trust about your anxiety because you do need help for that, there are different types of treatment alternate, even talking therapy, well i hope you get help and feel better soon take care
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Hope you feel better soon and the side effects start to ease. I'm on the waiting list for counseling so I'm seeing how I get on with that and without medication for the time being since I've only recently been diagnosed with anxiety. Thanks again for your help smile 

• Posted

Your welcome i do too i am starting counseling soon just had a phone call so i am looking forward to that, glad you are on the list, the thing about all this since i joined this forum and read a lot of peoples stories and advice it can get very confusing because everyone case is different that is because everyone problems are different , a lot of peple keep their problems private and that is their right, but these drugs are for depression ,anxiety and obviously mental health issue and maybe other things, but i believe if you get to the root of the problem and deal with that everything , else will fall in place, drugs are great to help you through but you do not want to be dependant on them, i have lots of health issues i too have ibs very bad ,and its painful and it gets was when i am stressed out and also with my anxiety , the body can feel terrible when your mind is not in the right place, i have a long way to go but i will get there, and so will you
  • Posted

Hi there, you could be experiencing IBS caused by your anxiety which is very common and if you've been to the Dr and had other causes ruled out then I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I have been taking 50mg for over a year now and had IBS and frequent urination before starting meds but I remember an increase in the severity of symptoms for around the first 4 weeks which was almost unbearable! I still get mild symptoms occassionally now however it tends to be when I feel particularly anxious about something so I know it's anxiety related. When you're anxious your body tries to clear the adrenaline through your urine and your digestive system is disrupted causing IBS and stomach cramps. I know it's hard to take this advice as I've been there and anyone suffering from anxiety knows it's hard but when I look back now googling the scariest outcomes made my symptoms so much worse! If you have been particularly worried and felt anxious about starting meds this could explain it. Also the initial side effects of Sertraline include increased anxiety symptoms. The best thing to do is speak to your Dr for assurance and maybe try the meds again or try an alternative. It does take a while to feel the full effects but its worth it in the end. Good luck

• Posted

Hi i hope you do not mind but i read your reply to another person about her stomach cramps and that it could be ibs, it hit home i too suffer ibs and i am on sertraline , only been on it for 6 weeks, 50mg for three weeks then was put on 100mg it made my ibs much worse i went back to 50mg and its been a lot better , but everything you said made a whole lot of sense, so though you were trying to help someone else, you helped me too thanks
    • Posted

Now I'm definitely starting to think my issues were caused by the zoloft now that you said this. Even though I've been off them for a few weeks and was only on them for four days. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to anti-depressants and my side effects are lasting long after taking them. Also I'm glad someone was able to help you. 

• Posted

This is what this is all about its great if all who suffer can help each other, then you know your not on your own, at the moment i am feeling really low  i think its because of the weather , i used to love the heat and sunshine, but no more it makes my migraines bad and hen everything else goes to pot, and lack of sleep makes me look terrible, now lumps have come up on my face that have made me more depressed, but i am sure if only i could get some sleep , happiness will follow, so i hope all you out there that are suffering are getting the help you need
    • Posted

Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you could speak to a doctor about these issues? 
    • Posted

Yes i think i might have too my mum said something today that i never even thought of i am at the age of going through my change, i am 54, and on the pill, and do not have periods, so i my be experiencing signs and not realising it, i am having terrible hot and cold sweats, mood swings, now lumps on my face, and stomach cramps and back aches, but i have stomach problems due to ibs, so i am so confused, so like you said i need professional help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.