Is this cold turkey

Posted , 8 users are following.

I stopped the Mirtazapine 9 days ago, I got down to 3.75mg then stopped. I started reducing last summer. I was experiencing a little sleep disturbance, on 3.75mg but manageable. Since stopping I can get off to sleep but wake after 4 hrs. Then sleep is difficult. I'm starting to feel the symptoms of sleep deprivation. When I try to relax in bed at night I sweat profusely. I'm too cold without the covers but too hot with them, even though it's the middle of winter, my hair is soaked in sweat. I've got a cold this week so some symptoms could be attributed to this. But I wonder are these withdrawal symptoms or am I going cold turkey, or is this a sign I need to stay on them a bit later. I really want to stop them because of my weight gain. I want to persevere, I have no depressive symptoms. This in itself is a joy after all the anxiety I had. But sleep deprivation was the start of my depression many yrs ago.

Any advice welcome.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have also slowly reduced or the second time. I am now on 1/8th of 30mg.

I would say your last drop was too big. You would in my experience have been better to half the 3.75 and give yourself a good month on that.

why don't you try going back to that. 

• Posted

Thank you Lorraine for the suggestion. I took 7.5 last night just to get a decent sleep. I was reducing every two weeks so maybe that was too quick. 

I'll keep trying because mentally, despite the sleep issue, I feel calmer and happier without the anxiety caused by the Mirtazipine. 

• Posted

Hi, Hard to say I doint know what all you are taking?

I jumped of at 7.5,  4 times and am haveing only the sleep issue right now. I stopped all other MEDS and drugs (alcohol) mounths, years,  before getting off the MIRT, just to make sure. there would be no other interference, If you weened down that is not cold turkey, alot of what your are feeling is  just WD from the MIRT. 

• Posted

I agree with switchman. Many that suffer insomnia consider 4 hours a blessing. Be thankful you are getting some sleep with no meds. Try to relax and ride out the withdrawal symptoms. You've done great thus far at 9 days off.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I've replied to your's and Switchman's comments. 

Thank you for the encouragement. 

• Posted

If the sweating continues, then I would ask your GP to get your thyroid checked. I got severe hyperthyroidism after stopping mirtazapine. Insomnia and feeling hot are two of the symptoms.
    • Posted

I have an underactive thyroid and have been on Thyroxine for 24yrs. It was increased then decreased a couple of years ago because I became jittery. I should be due a repeat check soon so it will be interesting to know if the two are linked. Thank you for this information. 
  • Posted

I found that my cold/throat infection brought on some server withdrawals, this can happen apparently, I'm not sure why but it makes the withdrawals stronger

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.